Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by AprilsFrizzles, Apr 5, 2012.

1. ESofVA

ESofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    I put an ad in the classifieds but haven't received any replies yet. I am looking for hatching eggs for bantam frizzle Cochiins, especially if they are white.
    Does anyone have frizzle eggs they might sell? I live in the very easternmost part of VA.
    Thanks!!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  2. Chase Family

Chase Family Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2013
    Arkansas

Mine started crowing at 8 weeks.

3. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I have frizzles- but they are not old enough yet.

4. Black Cochin Bantams

Black Cochin Bantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Iowa
    It varies with varieties and the line of the breeder. . I have some that lay at 6 months and some not until 10 months. There is no set answer. I raise Black, Buff Columbian, Columbian, Gold Laced, Silver Laced, White, White frizzle , Partridge, and Silver Penciled. I show many of these varieties and some are just projects. Good luck with your Cochins.

5. TeaChick

TeaChick Overrun With Chickens

May 5, 2013
    Deep South
    My Coop
    Just to jump in out of curiosity....
    I have a white frizzle. Do you find your white frizzles to take longer to start laying than other varieties?

6. 388chick

388chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2013
    Belgrade, MT
    Nope...mine started laying around 17 weeks...but that was also in the middle of summer. :D How old is yours? She might be delayed because of the time of year?

7. TeaChick

TeaChick Overrun With Chickens

May 5, 2013
    Deep South
    My Coop
    ten months old
    [​IMG]
    I got her (and my other pullets) in March of last year from the feed store and I knew nothing about chickens!!! So I did everything wrong and I'm only just getting egg production up to what it should be for this time of year....
    Oh, sorry. If you want to read my testament of woe (and happiness) with my chickens, I guess you'd read my thread. Anyway....

She's ten months old.

8. tobit

tobit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2014
    UK
    do frizzles not get cold in the winter as their feathers can't function properly to keep a layer of warm air under their feathers?

9. 388chick

May 16, 2013
    Belgrade, MT
    Hmmm...hang in there. I have found the cold and short days is hard on the littles. First part of December we had a week of below zero weather and my two frizzles decided to hunker down and go broody to ward off the cold. Keep her on a good layer feed with a high protein and hopefully you'll get some bite sized eggs soon!! :)

10. 388chick

May 16, 2013
    Belgrade, MT
    I think the cold is a little tougher on my two frizzles then the rest of the girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by