Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

Pics
ten months old
sad.png

I got her (and my other pullets) in March of last year from the feed store and I knew nothing about chickens!!! So I did everything wrong and I'm only just getting egg production up to what it should be for this time of year....
Oh, sorry. If you want to read my testament of woe (and happiness) with my chickens, I guess you'd read my thread. Anyway....

She's ten months old.

It takes enough light each day as well as proper nutrition. to get birds to lay. It can take up to 6 weeks after the lights go on here before I start getting eggs.

I think the cold is a little tougher on my two frizzles then the rest of the girls.

I have my double copy frazzled cockerel in a pen in my garage with a heat lamp and the double copy frazzled pullet in my kitchen. The cockerel is pretty much fully feathered, albeit with pathetic double-copy frizzle feathers. He doesn't cope with the cold well at all. He can't poof up like a normal feathered chicken and make himself a down jacket with a top layer. He is missing the down and the top layer. My kitchen chicken lays pretty much every day, poor thing. Everybody else is outside happy as can be enjoying the bitter cold and laying quite a few eggs.

Hmmm...hang in there. I have found the cold and short days is hard on the littles. First part of December we had a week of below zero weather and my two frizzles decided to hunker down and go broody to ward off the cold. Keep her on a good layer feed with a high protein and hopefully you'll get some bite sized eggs soon!!
smile.png
Okay. Thanks. =)

do frizzles not get cold in the winter as their feathers can't function properly to keep a layer of warm air under their feathers?

They have a harder time staying warm (or getting warmed back up if they get cold), but my frizzle is at the top of the pecking order, so she just gets a couple of her minions to snuggle close and share they're heat.

It takes enough light each day as well as proper nutrition. to get birds to lay. It can take up to 6 weeks after the lights go on here before I start getting eggs.
Oh, okay. Thanks. =)

My whites were the last to lay last spring. and that is the only data I have to answer teh question.

Okay. Thanks.
I have a white frizzle who hasn't started laying and she's about ten months old.
Her comb and waddle just went red the other day, so I'm hoping for eggs soon, but I know she never started laying b/c I was changing their living arrangements too much for a long time around anyone's POL.
he.gif

Sorry.
hide.gif

Thank you for the information!
smile.png

Oh, okay.  Thanks. =)

Okay.  Thanks.
I have a white frizzle who hasn't started laying and she's about ten months old.
Her comb and waddle just went red the other day, so I'm hoping for eggs soon, but I know she never started laying b/c I was changing their living arrangements too much for a long time around anyone's POL. :he
Sorry. :oops:
Thank you for the information!:)  
Yaaaay! Red is good and mine always lay within the week of squatting. :)

do frizzles not get cold in the winter as their feathers can't function properly to keep a layer of warm air under their feathers?
I do think they have a little harder time. I was told frazzle (two copies of the frizzle gene) are not tolerant at all to cold weather. I have never had a frazzle so I can't directly speak for this.

Sad to see some hatcheries and people breed them, I emailed a seller on Ebay and asked her if she had her frizzle roo and frizzle hen together, and she said yes. I explained to her they should not be bred together, but don't think she "got it". Guess if they don't have to deal with it, it is ok. So pathetic to watch and know the outcome.........

Sad to see some hatcheries and people breed them, I emailed a seller on Ebay and asked her if she had her frizzle roo and frizzle hen together, and she said yes. I explained to her they should not be bred together, but don't think she "got it". Guess if they don't have to deal with it, it is ok. So pathetic to watch and know the outcome.........

I have two frazzles, a cockerel and a pullet. I bought frizzles, not frazzles! I ended up with only one frizzle and three frazzles, expecting two frizzles and two smooth.

Perhaps if you sent that idiot with the pair of breeding frizzles the pictures of my poor "kitchen chicken" she might get it.

The outcome is pathetic, absolutely pathetic. My poor little Kitchen Chicken is laying almost every day, great big 38 gram eggs when she only weighs 825 grams. That's almost 5% of her body weight every day on top of the incredible load for her feathers that fall out and break if you just look at them. The cockerel is in my garage in a pen with a heat lamp. He's not carrying as much weight as I want and I can't get more on him. He at least is fully feathered at the moment, but is not coping with the cold. About 50F is about as cold as he can cope with unless he has shelter from the wind and sun.

My Kitchen Chicken:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom