Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by AprilsFrizzles, Apr 5, 2012.

1. TeaChick

TeaChick Overrun With Chickens

May 5, 2013
    Deep South
    My Coop
    So, I'm hoping my Bantam Cochin Frizzle goes broody for me next year.
    She's not laying yet. Anyone have any ideas how I could coax her into laying (and maybe brooding)?
    I assume she won't brood unless she's laying, so that would be putting the cart before the horse, right?
    Also, I've got to trim her back side so I can get some fertile eggs out of her, I guess?????
    IDK if I want to do that? I'll have to think about it.
    I guess I'm just trying to get the thread going again. =)
    Hopefully, it's not killed. lol

2. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I have had a chicken brood, before she ever laid an egg, but only once. you don't have to trim the fluff. You might eventually. You need her to lay some eggs and check fertility, before you know if it is nessacary to trim the fluff.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  3. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    [​IMG]
    Baby Gaga in her nest spot- she is always broody. I brought her in the house, and I had 2 week old chicks that never had a mom. I took a box and lined it with a cloth so the hen would not slip her feet, and put babies under and now all are asleep. I don't like to give her newborns though. she has squished a new born before- but just cause her feet slipped.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  4. mindylee

mindylee Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    Lapeer Michigan
    I currently have 22 broodies in my coop. almost all of the hens are young and I dont believe some have laid their 1st egg yet or possibly just began.
    I swear its super catchy in my coop, if 1 goes broody, they all go broody!
    Lol

5. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Are you letting them all set on eggs? that would be a lot of chicks

6. TeaChick

May 5, 2013
    Deep South
    My Coop
    What breed?
    I need chickens like that!!![​IMG]
    I want a broody!!!!
    Too cute!!!

Oh, I didn't think they would. I thought she might be laying, so I left some golfballs in the nesting box and thought she might sit on those if the whim struck her, but I checked her vent and I don't think she's laying at all. My roo is showing great interest, but she's not interested in what he's selling. lol So, I hope that she'll start laying soon.

Oh, okay. I'll wait then. Thanks. =)
    {I'm such a newb. [​IMG] I didn't even think about waiting to check her fertile egg rate. [​IMG]}

7. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Neither did I until it happened lol. I hope she starts laying for you! Don't feel bad when i had my very first chickens, i thought you had to hatch everything in incubator, i also thought that was the only way to tell if they were fertile. lol.

1 person likes this.
  8. mindylee

mindylee Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    Lapeer Michigan
    Mine are all cochin bantams. Nope no eggs being hatched out, just a lot of broodies sitting on nothing. I dont hatch till spring. Last yr when I had 19 broodies, I hatched out 91 chicks out 0f 110 eggs. [​IMG]

9. TeaChick

May 5, 2013
    Deep South
    My Coop
    Oh, one of mine is a Cochin Bantam. Maybe, she can convince my Comets to go broody. [​IMG] lol

That's an awesome hatch rate!!!

10. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Wow! When yours go broody they get down to business! Great hatch rate

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by