Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

also they can block me if they really want. I like all kinds of chickens it is fun to view any kind of frizzle and and any color frizzle I welcome all.
I have different breeds of chickens, too, but this is a Bantam Cochin thread, so I really like to only see bantam Cochin chicks. I'm very new to the breed and want to develop an eye for it. Seeing mutt birds passed off as Cochins doesn't help me or other newcomers to the fancy learn about the breed. And, although you might not realize you are presenting them as purebred, you are by virtue of posting their pictures here, especially with no disclaimer.

I'm so happy
I'm getting a doz of eggs from Amy and got my fingers crossed for a good hatch and girls. These will be an out cross to better my flock in type. I have pet breeder quality here with a hand full of show quality but as a breeder I want to breed better type SO hopefully all goes well and again I can't wait as I'm super excited. Plus I love Amy's flock so totally happy to add some of her hard work to my flock!!!

Hey guys, not meaning to offend but there are hundreds of threads for every type of chicken on the planet, let us stick to the topic of this one, otherwise we will dilute all the useful information we can gather about this specific topic.
old.gif

The reason we have these threads is to learn about specific breed traits, looks and breeding, it is very helpful to stay on topic to allow people to learn.

As mentioned backyard chickens has thousands of threads, many of them dedicated to mixed breeds, i have some myself
wink.png

Hey guys, not meaning to offend but there are hundreds of threads for every type of chicken on the planet, let us stick to the topic of this one, otherwise we will dilute all the useful information we can gather about this specific topic.
old.gif

The reason we have these threads is to learn about specific breed traits, looks and breeding, it is very helpful to stay on topic to allow people to learn.

As mentioned backyard chickens has thousands of threads, many of them dedicated to mixed breeds, i have some myself
wink.png

That's what I like about breed specific threads for people like me who are just starting out in a new breed/variety.
smile.png

I'm always learning something to help me recognize good breeding quality from those with faults (both the obvious and the not-so-obvious) or those with the possibility of another breed sprinkled in. And to distinguish between a characteristic that is just what many breeders desire verses one that is part of the actual Standard. Take, for example, the feathering of the middle toe on the Buff Cochin Bantam. I recently ran across an article in an old Poultry Journal magazine that states, "The Buff Cochin Bantam is not required to have middle toe feathering, Neither are they disqualified from having bare middle toes, as in the large Cochin. Judges always cut, though, for a partially bare or irregularly feathered middle toe. While this feature is to be desired and nearly all breeders are breeding for it, it still should not be discounted in the show room, if the judges are to follow the Standard." So is this is no longer the Standard for Buff Cochin Bantams, and if not, when did it change?

also they can block me if they really want. I like all kinds of chickens it is fun to view any kind of frizzle and and any color frizzle I welcome all.

well to each his own you can block me and I will block you guys too
ya.gif
then we will all be happy. happy is a very nice thing!
lol.png
celebrate.gif
Nobody wants to block you. Anyone can report you if they so chose. It appears nobody wants to do that. What is desired is to stick to the topic of this site which is Cochins and Cochin Frizzles. I hope you understand.

I breed and show many varieties of Bantam Cochins including Frizzles at the National level including 4th best at last years ABA National. Won 1 Best of Show and 2 Reserve of Shows this Spring and 6 Champion Featherlegs. I promote and love the breed too much to let this site be polluted by ignorance and disrespect.

Thank you to Andy and OzarkCountry Girl for your on point comments.

That's what I like about breed specific threads for people like me who are just starting out in a new breed/variety.
smile.png

I'm always learning something to help me recognize good breeding quality from those with faults (both the obvious and the not-so-obvious) or those with the possibility of another breed sprinkled in. And to distinguish between a characteristic that is just what many breeders desire verses one that is part of the actual Standard. Take, for example, the feathering of the middle toe on the Buff Cochin Bantam. I recently ran across an article in an old Poultry Journal magazine that states, "The Buff Cochin Bantam is not required to have middle toe feathering, Neither are they disqualified from having bare middle toes, as in the large Cochin. Judges always cut, though, for a partially bare or irregularly feathered middle toe. While this feature is to be desired and nearly all breeders are breeding for it, it still should not be discounted in the show room, if the judges are to follow the Standard." So is this is no longer the Standard for Buff Cochin Bantams, and if not, when did it change?

Can you give me more information on the journal about the Buff Columbians. I do not find that information on the toes in either book of Standards. All Cochins now are requited to have a fully feathered 2nd toe to do well and that non feathered center toe is a DQ on all Cochins.

Nobody wants to block you. Anyone can report you if they so chose. It appears nobody wants to do that. What is desired is to stick to the topic of this site which is Cochins and Cochin Frizzles. I hope you understand.

I breed and show many varieties of Bantam Cochins including Frizzles at the National level including 4th best at last years ABA National. Won 1 Best of Show and 2 Reserve of Shows this Spring and 6 Champion Featherlegs. I promote and love the breed too much to let this site be polluted by ignorance and disrespect.

Thank you to Andy and OzarkCountry Girl for your on point comments.
As a newcomer to the breed, well to chicken-keeping in general, I really appreciate it when the experts comment.

I do intend to breed correct, show-quality Cochins. I'm even starting to show and have reserved a room for the APA Centennial show (I hope you Cochin people are as friendly, welcoming and helpful in person as you are on the Coching International fb page!). I like this BYC thread because I can ask novice questions that I wouldn't dare ask on the Cochins International fb page.

I was surprised to find out who you really were, Black Cochin Bantams, and every so happy to see you contributing to this thread. Thank you for helping us rookies to the breed.

I am sure now that the buff Columbian is required to have the same feathering as the other varieties. This was just an old article. I find showing buffs to be very difficult so I am sure back when the buff Columbians were much more popular but just as difficult to obtain the consistent coloring on, that they may have forgiven a few aspects. Now that we are many years down the road the toe feathering is important on all varieties, as is eye color and wing carriage etc.
I think this was a very old article that she was referring to from years ago when we were little kids, Craig.
hide.gif

As a newcomer to the breed, well to chicken-keeping in general, I really appreciate it when the experts comment.

I do intend to breed correct, show-quality Cochins. I'm even starting to show and have reserved a room for the APA Centennial show (I hope you Cochin people are as friendly, welcoming and helpful in person as you are on the Coching International fb page!). I like this BYC thread because I can ask novice questions that I wouldn't dare ask on the Cochins International fb page.

I was surprised to find out who you really were, Black Cochin Bantams, and every so happy to see you contributing to this thread. Thank you for helping us rookies to the breed.
No secret that I am Craig Hansen or that I raise and show Bantam Cochins. I have a room reserved at the ABA Centenial show at the Ohio National at Columbus also. I will be showing at Bloomington, Ill this Saturday where Jon Alden and I have invited those new to or interested in showing to attend. You can ask almost anything there on the CI site or you can PM me and I will attempt to help..

Back
Top Bottom