Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

Hey guys I just wanted to come in and show some pics of my new frizzled Cochin for showing next year. She is a red, and she is most definitely in moult right now.

They don't look like Cochins, more like D'uccle.

I've got a question, but I don't have a photo to go with it (yet) maybe I can post one later.

I bought five Frizze Bantam chicks from Privett Hatchery last year, plus some other bantams.

When I sorted out what should be the Frizzles, there were six chicks. They all looked like Cochins. One was a Frazzle and is red. The other five were white feathered and smooth, no trace of Frizzle showing. When I looked back in Privett's ad, they said they did not guarantee you would get Frizzles if you ordered them, so I guess that's why I only got one.

My question is on the remaining five. Are they by any chance carrying the Frizzle gene---or is Frizzle totally dominant? I know some breeds carry Frizzle suppression genes, I don't know if Cochin is one of them.

Moreover, I am not sure if these are really Cochin or not. They LOOK like Cochins---until you look at their feet. They are yellow, but have five toes like a Houdon or Silkie does.

I called the hatchery to ask them what breeds they carry with five toes that look like a Cochin, but the lady I talked to had no knowledge of chickens at all, said she couldn't tell me anything about that or what was sent in my order.

Any ideas on what type these are?

And, are they worth keeping to breed to the other Cochins to try to get Frizzle offspring?

I will try to get a photo on here later today.
The Frazzle they sent is very sensitive to cold, so has lived all this time in my garage. She has the regular number of toes, and looks like she would be a Cochin if she were normal-feathered.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

From my reading this is what I think I have grasped.

Frazzle has a very brittle feather structure and a very weak type of bird. It is the by product of breeding a Frizzle to another frizzle. She will not do well with cold.

Frizzle needs to be bred to a smooth to get a frizzle. You then stand a 50% chance of getting a frizzle (which is why in day old chicks there is no guarantee) as the chicks will get 1 gene from each parent. So yes it is possible for a smooth bred of a frizzle to carry a Gene that will possibly at some point produce a frizzle in the future.

I am not sure i have enough knowledge on the Gene sequence to explain (lots of F and f+ variations and I lost that page) but maybe someone with more knowledge can add.

If you are wanting pet quality Chicks you might be okay to breed them but from What I can tell from your description you will need a HUGE amount of genetic knowledge to get these chicks back or even close to SOP if they ever were.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/04/frizzle-feathered-chickens-divas-of.html

If you are wanting show birds you really need to look for a good breeder in your area.

I am dealing with a vulture hock issue in my Ladies and I am not sure it is worth the trouble rather than to just save for a good breeding pair.

I hope this helps some.

Cochin are a fun breed.

Good luck with your ladies.

Thank you so much! I appreciate you writing back. How is the best way of finding out who has show quality adult birds for sale? Is there a link somewhere for that on this forum? Sometimes I see eggs on Ebay, but I haven't had much success with that (they get thrown around and addled in transit). Would I try to contact an ebay ad that has eggs and ask if they sell chicks? Or do you know someone who does? Thank you!

Sadly I am still looking for some Good LF Cochin myself.
Good luck on your search
yippiechickie.gif

When you receive the eggs do you let them settle with pointy end down before you try to hatch them? I have heard that is important for a successful hatch.

You know, I will try that if I order eggs again through the mail. I always do hatching eggs I collect at home, plus I keep them at a slightly lower, constant temperature before I set them, with a bit of cellophane over the top of the container to help stop moisture evaporation.

I change the tilt a tiny bit every day until I put them in the incubator. I've had very good success with my own hatching this way.

The couple of times I bought eggs through the mail, the people had packed them quite carefully, so it wasn't their fault, but when I candled them you could see the "addling" and separation of egg components. Makes you feel bad, especially when they are not inexpensive!

I think the Postal Service has some rough handling when putting stuff onto planes, and they must get shaken a bunch to have this occur.

Back
Top Bottom