Cochin/Brahma help needed.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SunAngel, Apr 28, 2009.

1. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Or am I wrong on what I am seeing?

I ordered two Red Cochins (standards) and these two look similar...but...they have feather issues. I am no expert, but does chick #2 have a color identity crisis?

[​IMG]

Chick #1 (I think this really is a Red Cochin..looks buff now tho)
    [​IMG]

Chick #2 (Black and white wing feathers on a Red bird?)
    [​IMG]

Problem #2....

I also ordered 2 Light Brahmas...I am seeing a difference in their feathering as well.

[​IMG]

Chick #1 (Dark feathers with light markings on them)
    [​IMG]

Chick #2 (White feathers with dark markings on them)
    [​IMG]

These 4 are all supposed to be pullets. Will their feathering change or did I get something different than what I ordered?

Thanks for looking [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  2. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I'm not surprised. I got a SLW with a single comb from Ideal. I don't think they're particularly vigilant over their breeders.

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Did you allow substituitions? If so, they probably did. They are pretty much swamped with orders right now.

4. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I didn't place the order, I will have to ask my friend. We went in together on a larger order. We placed the order back in Jan and it looked like we got exactly what we ordered, no extras. But now that they are starting to feather out, I am wondering what I really got lol.

As long as they are pullets and Cochins/Brahmas, I am fine with it. Just mostly curious about that buff one getting white/black feathers.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  5. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    The first one may be a Buff Cochin and the other one a White Cochin. The Brahma with the dark color looks to be a dark Brahma and the lighter colored of the same breed is called a Light Brahma.

6. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    You think that buff colored Cochin could end up just being a white? What about Columbian? Is that possible or even a color? Just wondering because of the black mixed in with the white.

I was curious if someone else would think that was a Dark Brahma. That would be cool, if it is a pullet.

Thanks for the help!

7. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    It is not uncommon to find black or white ticking in red/buff birds. It may grow out as they age, or it may not.

8. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:Ditto - Depending on how gold and not yellow the cochins are. My Buff cochins are dark gold. Last year I ended up with a light brahma and a dark brahma from Ideal and they looked like those other two.

9. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    about Chick #2:

I order 2 red cochins a few years ago. That is how they feathered out. First white, then black, and eventually red. That was on each feather. Eventually most feathers ended up a kind of red. The bird was such bad quality I named her "Fugly".

I think she was about 4 months old in this picture: Fugly

Matt

10. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I only have light brahmas, and I've had chicks that hatched that dark too... when they feather out, they'll look normal, maybe with a little more black in the back feathers, but they'll be light brahmas.
    It is always possible that they mixed them up, too, but it is possible to have light brahma chicks that dark.
    Don't know anything about cochins... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by