Cochin breeding, genetics, and showing

Pics
Thx would they need to be purebred and do they need papers
Purebred is a loose term when it come to chickens, it's more a matter of "looks." If the bird looks like it should, it kind of doesn't matter how it got there. That said, it's highly unlikely that you'll find a bird at a hatchery or flea market that will do well at the shows. 4 H is a slightly different matter, but even Youths are showing the very well bred "show type" birds, showmanship not being as critical as the regular classes where the bird is judged rather than the young person.

hello there! brand new to this discussion. I am looking for standard cochin in nonstandard colors such as lemon cuckoo, lavender cuckoo, chocolate cuckoo....basically any cuckoo color lol! i also like the calico color. i am also new to the chicken world so i can be calling them by the wrong name as well so if i need to be corrected, please do so :) I haven plenty of these colors in bantam cochin and wyandotte, but i want a standard cochin darn it! can anybody point me in the right direction? I have googled my little fingers to the bone and have come up empty handed :(

hello there! brand new to this discussion. I am looking for standard cochin in nonstandard colors such as lemon cuckoo, lavender cuckoo, chocolate cuckoo....basically any cuckoo color lol! i also like the calico color. i am also new to the chicken world so i can be calling them by the wrong name as well so if i need to be corrected, please do so :) I haven plenty of these colors in bantam cochin and wyandotte, but i want a standard cochin darn it! can anybody point me in the right direction? I have googled my little fingers to the bone and have come up empty handed :(
I'm afraid that's the answer, I know of no one breeding anything of the sort. There are a few folks working on Mottled, Brown Reds and Lemon Blues but I don't know of anything else.

Hey guys! Just saw this thread and I have a bunch of questions. I have a 3-4 day old chicks and one has all four toes feathered. Is this a defect? Also I have a 5-6 month old hen. Her cushion isn't too good. Is she young enough that it will still improve with time? Are pin-like feathers on a bird a defect? Thanks!

Hey guys! Just saw this thread and I have a bunch of questions. I have a 3-4 day old chicks and one has all four toes feathered. Is this a defect? Also I have a 5-6 month old hen. Her cushion isn't too good. Is she young enough that it will still improve with time? Are pin-like feathers on a bird a defect? Thanks!
No, having feathers on all toes is not a defect. Without seeing the pullet I can only say that yes, she could improve in time. If I could see her I could give you a better idea of what to watch for.

Last edited:
No feathers on all toes is not a defect. Without seeing the pullet I can only say that yes, she could improve in time. If I could see her I could give you a better idea of what to watch for.

Ok thanks. I will try and put some pictures of her up today. She is definitely not perfect, but I would say she is a decent quality Cochin.

Back
Top Bottom