Cochin breeding, genetics, and showing

Pics
Ok so I have admired salmon cochins (pekins) for a while now, and was wondering if anyone knows of any breeders in the US? It seems like all of the new interesting colors are overseas at the moment.

I know of one person who has been working at breeding them in the USA and it is not easy. Haven't gotten them to breed true and her stock is getting a little old. I took this picture in 2011 at a show. She has none available as I have been on her list for quite some time. We know her don't we Nancy!

I know of one person who has been working at breeding them in the USA and it is not easy. Haven't gotten them to breed true and her stock is getting a little old. I took this picture in 2011 at a show. She has none available as I have been on her list for quite some time. We know her don't we Nancy!

Yes we do Craig! :D He's a lovely boy. I was talking with a gal that was trying to breed Salmon Marens and she was having very little luck also. I wonder how Salmon Faverolles came about. I've heard that even they are pretty hard to keep correct.

Yes we do Craig! :D  He's a lovely boy. I was talking with a gal that was trying to breed Salmon Marens and she was having very little luck also. I wonder how Salmon Faverolles came about. I've heard that even they are pretty hard to keep correct.

That's a shame their such beautiful birds!

what should their pattern look like?
partridge hens (bantam ) one has light blue eyes ? shes the only one ive noticed (I pay more attention to the others eyes now lol)

until I get a partridge roo .. is it better to cross them to my blue splash roo .. or my birchen roo

what should their pattern look like?
partridge hens (bantam ) one has light blue eyes ? shes the only one ive noticed (I pay more attention to the others eyes now lol)

until I get a partridge roo .. is it better to cross them to my blue splash roo .. or my birchen roo

Actually from what I can see, you have some hens that look very promising. Something to keep in mind when breeding this variety is that the desirable ground color for the the hens hackle feathers is a deep red, almost mahogany. You have a couple of hens that appear to have very nice color. They also have rather nice pencilling which is not an easy feather pattern to breed. I love a good Partridge hen, who looks a bit like she's wearing a herringbone suit. Also keep in mind, this is a difficult variety to breed correctly. you've got a good start from what I can see and I'm going to venture a guess and say that a Partridge male that has a few flecks of red in the breast would be nice to cross on these hens to get good females. I'm not sure that those hens will give you good males. Nothing wrong with that, it's just the nature of breeding this pattern.

Actually from what I can see, you have some hens that look very promising. Something to keep in mind when breeding this variety is that the desirable ground color for the the hens hackle feathers is a deep red, almost mahogany. You have a couple of hens that appear to have very nice color. They also have rather nice pencilling which is not an easy feather pattern to breed. I love a good Partridge hen, who looks a bit like she's wearing a herringbone suit. Also keep in mind, this is a difficult variety to breed correctly. you've got a good start from what I can see and I'm going to venture a guess and say that a Partridge male that has a few flecks of red in the breast would be nice to cross on these hens to get good females. I'm not sure that those hens will give you good males. Nothing wrong with that, it's just the nature of breeding this pattern.
I forgot to answer your question about what to breed them to, of course ideally a Partridge male is best. In the absence of that, I guess the Splash is your next choice. It will give you Blue Partridge, not a recognized variety. I certainly wouldn't breed them to the Birchen, although he is a rather nice specimen, but not at all appropriate for the Partridge. Finding a good Partridge male is not going to be easy unless you are willing to have one shipped to you. You can go onto the Cochins International site and look at member pages etc. I believe it will also tell you what the member raises.

Back
Top Bottom