Cochin cross Brahma black

What do you mean by "dominant for extended black" and what are the genetics for "self black" ?
Whats the difference in genetics of the two?
Thanks

Your problem is that your birds are dominant for extended black which causes the shanks and toes to be overlaid with a dark pigment.

Blessings,

Bo
It's true, Extended Black Will turn the dermis completely or nearly completely Black regardless of Id, Black sex link hens are E/eWh Id/- w/w yet they have dark Shanks, I believe that a self black bird based on Birchen instead is the best way to go about it

Last edited:
What do you mean by "dominant for extended black" and what are the genetics for "self black" ?
Whats the difference in genetics of the two?
Thanks
Extended Black E, is the most dominant of the e allele, Self Black birds are mostly based on E, but one can "Build" that phenotype with just about any other e allele but the order of complexity grows exponentially the furthest You get from E..

E being the easiest and Wheaten the most dificult

That doesn't explain much.
What is self black? Just a black bird?
I know Extended black is the most dominate and I know about it causing the issue.
What I'm curious about is what he means by a "self black"?
What the genetics are of that bird which would allow clear yellow legs.

To Build a Self Black Bird with Yellow Shanks I would start with ER/ER, Ml/Ml, Pg/Pg, Id/Id, w/w

Black Leghorns are believed to be ER/ER, Ml/Ml, Id/Id, w/w, I Also believe Pg is there because it's closely linked to Ml but sinse the pattern gene has no effect on the Birchen allele we can't see it, but it's a eumelanin booster

image_search_1595301333757.jpg

Last edited:
The black leghorn would be the best example of a self black bird pure yellow legged and having to be double mated due to the issue of light colored under fluff. You'll still see them with dark legs but these are not to be culled because they are useful in the double mating process to produce birds of correct color in both sexes, yellow legged males X dark legged females or visa versa.

Back
Top Bottom