Cochin experts please look

Sugar Sand Farm

Songster
12 Years
Apr 24, 2007
North Florida
This is my 7 month old Giant Blue Cochin Doodle. Do you think she is show material

IMG_1212.jpg

IMG_1206.jpg

IMG_1202.jpg

She looks pretty nice. Her cushion could be more round but it isn't too bad for a standard cochin, she has nice big broom like feathering on her legs, and I like her color. I'd show her.
smile.png

Im no cochin expert, in fact i just got my standard blue and black cochin hens - (chicks).

Even so, I sure think she could win some awards. Look at her color - its amazing, and she has some very nice lacing. The only thing i think could be better about the girl is she could have fluffier legs. Other than that, she looks like "show material" to me. Even if she isnt, she is BEAUTIFUL.

Hope that helps.

At our last show the judge said that with bantam OR standards, you should not be able to see light between a cochins legs. The feathering should be so heavy across the feet and between their legs so you can't tell whether they are standing or sitting.

Also, she said that the age of showing should probably not be before about 7 months. Even in a pullet class, the standard of perfection applies and they aren't completely feathered in until around 6-8 months.

I think your bird is lovely but can't really tell from the photos if she meets the above description. The best thing to do is look up the standard of perfection description and compare her against it.

Quote:
I agree that she does need to be more 'round'. What feed is she on? You need to plump her up alot. On my heavier show breeds I was using up to 24% protein to keep them round and on the chubby side.

She is a very pretty girl. I love her lacing. She looks to have a reddish/brownish tint to her feathering though. Her tail should be rounded under, not sticking up like that. Maybe as she matures, this will happen but right now I'm not sure she could compete with other pullets I have seen in shows. She also looks to be on the light side, weight wise. For only 7 months old, her comb seems pretty large. That will just get larger as she gets older and the larger the comb, the less desirable. She is also too young for the typical asiatic head. It should be fatter with bigger eyebrows that come over her eyes.

I am sorry, I feel so bad for what I said. I do think she is absolutely beautiful however, I would not put her in an open show but I would let a child show her in a junior show. Her lacing is gorgeous, where did you get her?

Here is an example of the tail, this girl is 9 months old:

ChickenShow4-27-080462.jpg

The one thing you have to remember about showing.. is don't go to win. Yes.. I know how that sounds.. but only one person wins first place, the rest have a good time. I have made many many world champions over the years going to have allot of fun, meet people or see old freinds and just pay my money for the judges oppinion.
You can have 10 animals and 10 judges may place them diffrently.. Your entry fee is for an oppinion, not a ribbion..

That said.. show a clean healthy bird.. have fun.. and above all.. make as many freinds as you can.. thats the best part of showing.
thumbsup.gif

Thanks everyone No she doesn't have reddish brown in her feathers it was probabally the lighting and camera. It was pretty overcast when I took the picture and had to use the flash. Kanchii what kind of food has 24% protein. I would not be showing her I would have my granddaughter do it.They were purchased for her. I see what you mean about the tail sticking out I will have to go look at her again try to get a better picture. I have a balck cochin pullet and cockerel that look similiar to chickenlady's but the cockerel is only 21 weeks. I got them from Sandhill Preservation I just thought her lacing was just so beautiful but I have never showed anything before so I wasn't sure. Thanks again Micki

Back
Top Bottom