Cochin roo or pullet?

sparrowchic

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 19, 2011
douglasville, ga
I have a 7 month old std Cochin that is massive. She has enormous wattles and comb, and become quite aggressive. My husband is convinced that she's a 'he'. But, at 7 months old, should 'he' have started crowing by now?

Thanks!

Michelle

I have a 7 month old std Cochin that is massive. She has enormous wattles and comb, and become quite aggressive. My husband is convinced that she's a 'he'. But, at 7 months old, should 'he' have started crowing by now?

Thanks!

Michelle

Cochins mature very slowly.
Our Partridge Cochin did not start crowing until he was 9 months old- guessing he didn't have much to say. He still does not crow much- just once or twice a day. At least they aren't incessant crowers. Their bodies keep growing for close to 2 years I read- the males reach full maturity around then.

It's quite possible that "she" is a he, and just hasn't crowed yet. If you post a picture, we can definitively help you out in regards to whether you have a rooster.

If "he" hasn't crowed yet, he may or may not be a rooster. Many roosters begin crowing by 10 weeks of age (sometimes a little later), but there are always exceptions.

For future reference - look at the feathers on his neck (hackle) and where the tail and back meet (saddle) - then look at the same feathers on your pullets -- see the differences in shape and type? Cockerels have long, "flowy" feathers that are sharp/pointy in appearance where pullets feather are round ended and look like the feathers on the rest of her body.

Back
Top Bottom