Cochin Roos or Hens???

newhenintown

In the Brooder
Nov 22, 2016
Hayden, Al
First time backyard chicken owner here and I need some help sexing my feather babys. I have 6 cochins that are 3 months old but these 4 are the biggest so im starting to wonder roo or hen? I also have some "Easter eggers" but they're only 2 months old so ill wait on them plus im skeptical about the breed of one of them. If anyone could shed some like on these 4 that would be wonderful! TIA!

Heres a better pic of the two black ones.

And here is my so called Easter egger that maybe someone can shed the light on its breed and gender? It has ear tufts and as far as I know Easter eggers do not and I can't find another pic of one with the same coloring as it.

Hi, welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Those combs are looking mostly like boys.

It's kinda hard to see the feathering, even though I tried blowing it up. But the silver and black ones look to have wide tails, more flowing like boys. But can you see any pointy saddle feather? 3 months might be young still for saddle feathers. But if you have girls of the same breed and don't have the same amount of comb and waddle, it's a pretty good indicater.

If the striped one has fluffy cheeks than it might be a barred rock cross with Ameraucana (or some other blue egg layer), which should give you Easter eggs.

And... I haven't seen an EE that looks like that, so it's unique!
big_smile.png

The comb and waddles on my mottles (black and silver ones) look differently. Smaller and not as red on one but they look about the same color and size on my black ones. They won't be still long enough for me to look at their feathers.

Looks like all boys except maybe one of the blacks. "black and white'' ones are Silver Laced not Mottled.

Last edited:
If the striped one has fluffy cheeks than it might be a barred rock cross with Ameraucana (or some other blue egg layer), which should give you Easter eggs.

And... I haven't seen an EE that looks like that, so it's unique! :D

I was thinking its coloring looked like a barred rock but those ear tufts are throwing me through a loop. I know whatever it is its a cross. Can't be purebred.

Looks like all boys except maybe one of the blacks. "black and white'' ones are Silver Laced not Mottled.
The wings are a dead give away then. Girls have beautiful lacing on the wings, while boys have what I described a mottled in another post about my SLW. Basically like splotched or whatever but not laced.

So, I'm thinking that may be true about all laced varieties?

Back
Top Bottom