Cochin Rooster attacks us daily -

som1else

Hatching
7 Years
Aug 28, 2012
We have five hens and a cochin rooster. The rooster started following us around this spring, eventually flying at us and now attacking us. If we kick him away or swat at him with something, he comes back for more. He has drawn blood a couple times. My daughters and I think he should go the way of the stew pot but my husband refuses. He feels the hens will have no protection. I would like feedback on whether this bird should stay or go OR does anyone have a solution to stop his attacking? Thanks...

There are lots of perfectly nice roosters out there. If it were me, your rooster would go the way of the stew pot and I'd surf craigslist to find someone selling or giving away a rooster. Lots of people need to re-home roosters when they discover they are roosters. There's no reason to keep a dangerous rooster.

Sorry but this is perfectly normal, he is a male, protecting his flock......He sees it as his territory...
idunno.gif

I won't have a mean bird on the place as I do have six roos who all are respectful around us. A couple even eat out of hands. No need to have a mean one around when it can be replaced.

That may be true, but there are plenty of really nice roosters out there - no need to put up with a bad egg. Not all roosters are aggressive (my big boy does his hen dance for me)
Yes, I understand...no need to put up with bad behaviour, love to see the hen dance lol
wee.gif

I won't have a mean bird on the place as I do have six roos who all are respectful around us. A couple even eat out of hands. No need to have a mean one around when it can be replaced.
Yes Im sorry, guess I wouldnt like a roo who attacket me....pity to send him to the pot tho...
idunno.gif

You can get the rooster to learn that you out rank him in the pecking order but, you have to be willing to fight him for the position. And you need to be the one calling the shots. Every time I walk into one of our pens I walk straight towards the rooster to make sure it wants to submit and yield out of my way. If it doesn't yield we have a serious "conversation" until he submits. Then I pick it up and carry it around and just pet it. I also have my 4 year old grand-daughter pet the roosters until it calms down and relaxes. I don't want any of my roosters to be afraid of me but, it must respect me. I want my roosters to be protective of the hens but to understand that being aggressive towards people is unacceptable. I never trust a rooster and always keep an eye on them - to make sure we don't need to do a refresher course. If the rooster can not except that people out rank - then it's Dinner! It is not worth having a child hurt to keep a rooster for protection. Good Luck.

There should be a bit of meat on him... cook him slow and low and he'll be nice and tender. The hens will be fine. Yes, I guess roosters will pay more attention to possible predators, but hens do adjust and learn to look out for themselves. I think your husband should be the one doing the chores ALL THE TIME if he thinks you need to keep the attack-rooster. Make him (the rooster) into a nice, tasty stew and find yoursefl another - preferrably grown so you can get an idea of his personality - rooster to protect your flock.

I had a mean Cochin roo as well - tried all the suggestions on this site to fix his attitude to no avail. Gave him away to a farm that needed him as a stud - he's been there for 4 months and is still an issue, but they don't have kids. He was not worth the risk to my 4 year old son - who got pecked on his pecker and was always afraid of him after that. I have 2 other roos that are no issue at all, never give me attitude. It was not worth dreading going out to the run every day as he was relentless in his attacks.

Back
Top Bottom