Cochin rooster personality?

Studio2770

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2013
I think one of my cochins is a cockerel. We've already given away a boy from our first group of leghorns. I would LOVE to have a rooster, especially a handsome partridge cochin. Our neighbors don't even know we have chickens so.... I mean there's dogs barking(even mine) through out the day. So will a little crowing hurt? There are people near us with a pig! I think caponzing is out of the question. So to those who own cochin roosters, how are they? How often do they crow? IF we do keep our "cockerel," will he do fine in a coop with 7 girls? Or is it best to have a rooster box? Here is me he/she.

We just got 4 cochin babies, haven't had that breed before, so don't know anything first hand about the roos, but from other people's stories on BYC, I gather that cochin roos are fine gentlemen! Our other chickens are lt. brahma girls.

Here's our newbies:

Very cute! My mom doesn't want ANY crowing but Olive has gotten nicer, despite how messy "she" looks. I'm hoping those with cochin roosters tell me that their roos don't crow every 10 minutes or every hour.

Back
Top Bottom