Cochin Thread!!!

Good morning!

My bantam cochins are 10 weeks old. I have never seen a real live bantam (or standard for that matter). I have only seen them in pictures here on BYC. I cant really tell how big or small they will be based on the pics. It would be really great to see a bantam and a standard standing next to each other in the same pic so i can see the size difference. But other than that, i would really like to know how much bigger do the bantams get after 10 weeks old.

I appreciate the help!

Xoxo Annmarie

Hi Black Cochin Bantams,

Take the middle Red Blue Columbian male and breed him to a good Golden Laced hen. You'll be well on your way to making Blue Laced Red cochins. From their chicks pick a Blue male that has the best breast lacing to breed back to the original Golden Laced hen. Abracadabra, Blue Laced Red cochins in two generations. That's alot faster than bringing in Wyandotte blood and having to deal with Type issues.

Have a great day,
Russell

Hi Black Cochin Bantams,

Take the middle Red Blue Columbian male and breed him to a good Golden Laced hen. You'll be well on your way to making Blue Laced Red cochins. From their chicks pick a Blue male that has the best breast lacing to breed back to the original Golden Laced hen. Abracadabra, Blue Laced Red cochins in two generations. That's alot faster than bringing in Wyandotte blood and having to deal with Type issues.

Have a great day,
Russell
thanks for the info, actually I was the one that posted the pics of the cockerels.

i think the middle one is the one I had decided i liked best for the project too. now it's a matter of finding gold laced to use with him. well, i've got to let him grow up a bit more too, since he's just under 3 months old now.

Hey gang.

Just became the proud new owner of 2 lavender pekins(cochin bantams)
big_smile.png

i am convinced that the one with the black beak is a girl. The breeder has selected the other(yellow beak) as a girl.
They are about 4 weeks old and adorable! I do have my doubts as to the yellow beak being a girl, any thoughts please share. They wont be SQ but i love them to bits!

Hi Gang,

i have tried to understand this terminology but cant quite get my head around it.
(i did read through the entire self blue thread)
Could someone help me out here?

Self Blue - when bred to Self blue will only produce self blue, there is no lacing in the feathers
Blue - Entirely different gene set to self blue. Will have some lacing on the feathers, and produce split offspring(some black some blue etc)
Lavender - ?????

I can't quite get my head around this, here anything blue/grey is just called Lavender. how can i tell if my chicks below are blue, self blue or Lavender? They come from "lavender parents" according to the breeder.
lavender and self blue are the same thing. lavender is the name of the gene, but the name of the variety of cochin is 'self blue'...
it's a recessive gene that requires both parents to carry, which causes a uniform dilution of black resulting in a solid light grey colored bird. yours are self blue/lavender. here in the US, the APA has stated that it will not recognize the name Lavender, since they already have the same color listed as Self Blue. In other countries the corresponding breed organizations refer to it as Lavender. so it would depend on your local poultry association/breed organization's choice of wording. in South Africa, it may well be referred to as Lavender. I don't know since i haven't researched that myself. (Lavender would be my choice of wording, because the word "blue" used in 2 different names can get confusing for some, but I'm only 1 person with an opinion.)

blue is a dominant gene that also dilutes black, but only requires only 1 parent to carry it. a single copy of the gene results in a dark grey bird with darker lacing. 2 copies of the gene results in a splash, which is a light grey/white bird with some darker markings here and there.

The other day byc improved picture uploading and I decided to work on my album. I got one picture uploaded and haven't been able to get any more in my album. Hmmm So anyway I was going through some of my pictures on a different card and found a nice one of my rooster Buddy. Thought I would post it here the old fashioned way.. He has been my main roo for the last couple of years. I have a few cockerels left that I will probably keep one this year. It was late October and we had an early snow. I looked out the window and saw Buddy standing by one of nest boxes which I hadn't taken in yet.. How cute he was guarding it for one of his hens who had decided tthis was the place she was going to lay her egg,. So I got my camera and ran out there just in time to take this pic when he was on his way back to the coop Following his hen like a good hubby.

Last edited:
We have several cochin's we use them to breed to our Frizzles, they make a good parring because of the large bloom for a tail. I will post some pics later. We only have black, white, and reds right now, I think I may have to get some laced, I love the laced chickens.

Back
Top Bottom