Cochin Thread!!!

I would love to know what the standard is on the leg/shank color in B/B/S bantams. Why did you ask did you ask about yellow showing through? I'm trying to read between the lines here and understand what possibilities you were considering when you asked. Thanks for any help with this issue.
It is yellow, or a swarthy yellow. All varieties of Cochins should have this color for the legs, shanks, and feet.

~Casey

We have several cochin's we use them to breed to our Frizzles, they make a good parring because of the large bloom for a tail. I will post some pics later. We only have black, white, and reds right now, I think I may have to get some laced, I love the laced chickens.
Just curious, wanted to ask, you do know that frizzles arent a breed? Cochin is the breed, frizzle is just a term used to describe the feathering, any breed can be frizzled, bantam or standard. Would like to see pics of your Red birds, as they are pretty rare to find and it is a project I am working on myself.

~Casey

Has anyone seen the Red large fowl Cochins from Ideal????

I imagine their type is bad, but I would like to see one.

I just thought I would share some pics. And please give me your honest thought on them as far as quality. I do realize Chief has horrible quality but is a pet!

Lemon Blue Project- (Purchased from Lynne aka wwmicasa1)

Lynne

George

Abbie

Annie

Bruce

Splash- (no photos of parent stock)

Napoleon- Born 5/20/12

2/3 blue mottled pullets- Born 6/5/12

Golden laced-

Chess

Chief

My Mille fleur Remington

Dudley- RIP

County Boy the lemon blue project on top is pretty in my book. The few pictures I can see all have very pretty colors. Very nice eye candy. I like your big boy with the two colors(orance and black?)

It looks like the big LF are not too old yet.

I am really not able to give too much critique on these birds.

I would ask the question. What are my goals. What do I want the birds for. etc. (show, pet, eye candy, etc..)

I have 5 cockerels that are really causing some problems. I put them in a big pen together today to dust and run and I thought two were going to kill each other. I though they would work it out but didnt. I eventually removed what I thought was the perp only to find a half hour later there was another one being picked on. :barnie Whats a person to do Am I going to have to put each in a seperate cage? I still wanted to keep them a bit longer.

Then one of my blues had a hold of my lil bantam wyandotte roo and chased him into the woods. poor thing. I am going crazy over here! :/ Any advice? Thanks

Is your cochin young? I believe the mottling gets more pronounced as they age.
I'm not positive on age since i got them from an auction but they are small compared to my frizzle cochins so am assuming they are ypung and they deffiantly look young and he dosent crow and seh don't lay so I'm almost certin they are young

I have 5 cockerels that are really causing some problems. I put them in a big pen together today to dust and run and I thought two were going to kill each other. I though they would work it out but didnt. I eventually removed what I thought was the perp only to find a half hour later there was another one being picked on.
barnie.gif
Whats a person to do Am I going to have to put each in a seperate cage? I still wanted to keep them a bit longer.
Then one of my blues had a hold of my lil bantam wyandotte roo and chased him into the woods. poor thing. I am going crazy over here!
hmm.png
Any advice? Thanks
I have had some luck putting branches in my runs up a couple feet for the "picked on one" to jump up to for a breather. This only works if you have one who really doesn't want to fight. If they are all scrappers they won't back down to each other. I cull birds that fight or isolate them. Sometimes separating them for a few days allows the other boys to work out a pecking order and when the naughty boy comes back he is kind of out of the loop and there is less squabbling because he wasn't there for a few days. And sometimes none of this works!
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom