Cochin Thread!!!

This has been a horrible week for me, yesterday I had to put down my wonderful, sweet Jack. He started acting funny last week, could'nt keep his balance, seemed to have trouble walking, falling forward on his toes. I separated him, rotated medicines, kept him warm, put him out in the sunshine in the grass. I tried everything I could think of and can not figure out why a completely healthy 1 1/2 year old bird would go down like this. This is devastating to me and although I have several chicks from Jack, I have not one that looks anything like him.
I bought Jack at the Crossroads show last year, after I bought him, I walked around with him and he fell asleep in my arms. He was sweet, sweet to the hens and loved to talk to me every morning. He got excited at breakfast and treat time. His coloring was gorgeous and I hope and pray someday that out of his offspring; I will find another Jack~

Last edited:
Would this be considered a self blue or lavender cochin??
no, i don't think it's a self blue, but a regular blue... it likely that the roo is also either blue or splash, but since white removes all pigments you wouldn't know without breeding him to find out. it happens with standard poodles all the time, a white carries silver also, but only when bred to a black do you all of a sudden get blue pups. in std. poodles, blue/silver is exactly the same as blue/splash in chickens.

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. We all know exactly how you feel. This "Chicken Love" can sure have its drawbacks.....
Thanks Lynne~ drawbacks and heartaches
sad.png

whats shafting also ill get better pics at some point but i really like the cochins and im excited to start working on them :)
Post 9688 on this thread is a great post on feather shafting. I tried to copy it but it wouldn't let me take all the info. There is a great picture of a dorking helping show what shafting is.

Sorry to funky feathers and wild wood cochins for your losses. It is so hard to lose special birds.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom