Cochin Thread!!!

I'm In 4-h and have been looking for some more Cochins cause a fox killed a bunch of my chickens so if u know any good breeders or chicken swaps in michigan just message me if u do thanks

How big do the bantams get? I can only find weights and I was hoping for an average height. Also, when are they considered full grown? I'm not talking about being old enough to tell type accurately, but rather what age are they before they reach adult size?

My silver laced cochin bantams are my first bantams and they are so tiny. I hatched some of my large fowl in the same batch and they are triple the size of the bantams. I knew the bantams would be smaller, but I didn't realize this much.

Ohh Funky Feathers...What and when will you be selling?
Wanna ship some eggs to MI? =)
Hmm..we did honeymoon in Ocean City, maybe I can convince hubby another trip is needed. ;)

How old is she? She appears to have good type which is most important. She is what I would call overmarked but a good looking hen.

I agree with Craig. She is very pretty and has nice type but she is overmarked. She may even become more white as she ages. I have one that used to look just like her but now has so much more white. She too has great type and she is a sweetie.
I am probably going to try breeding her to an under marked mottled roo to see what I get.

Been a while since I have been on. I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and best wishes to all of you in this new year.

I have been busy making plans for this year's breeding. I have decided who is staying and who will be finding new homes. I have plans to build a couple more breeding pens as I have run out of room!

I still have 2 quarentine pens that are full of birds I bought in October that don't a permanant home yet! A few of these are on the list of rehoming.

Getting cabin fever and anxious to do some hatching!!!

Ohh Funky Feathers...What and when will you be selling?
Wanna ship some eggs to MI? =)
Hmm..we did honeymoon in Ocean City, maybe I can convince hubby another trip is needed.
wink.png

Thanks. :) I am about 35 miles out of the way (off Route 50) to OC. I am down to just my breeders for Winter. I don't sell eggs, but I will begin incubating my eggs in early March. I will have started birds to sell in May/June.

How big do the bantams get? I can only find weights and I was hoping for an average height. Also, when are they considered full grown? I'm not talking about being old enough to tell type accurately, but rather what age are they before they reach adult size?

My silver laced cochin bantams are my first bantams and they are so tiny. I hatched some of my large fowl in the same batch and they are triple the size of the bantams. I knew the bantams would be smaller, but I didn't realize this much.

All Silver laced Cochin Bantams I have and have seen are generally smaller than other varieties I have. Birds weights vary through out the year. When breeding or laying they seem to lose weight. I consider a Bantam to be about full height by 9-10 months but continuing to fill out until 15 months. That varies with strains and varieties.

Back
Top Bottom