Cochin Thread!!!

I got Bluebell all primped up last night - bath, nail trim and blow dry. I'm taking her to the Humane Society of West Michigan this morning for the kids to pet, and the Eight West news crew will be there as well so maybe she'll get to be on tv!
big_smile.png
I suppose I better put on some makeup for once...

I got Bluebell all primped up last night - bath, nail trim and blow dry. I'm taking her to the Humane Society of West Michigan this morning for the kids to pet, and the Eight West news crew will be there as well so maybe she'll get to be on tv!
big_smile.png

Bluebell looks all ready for her close up
big_smile.png
, that sounds like a really fun activity

Question for all, I see a lot of mottleds, mille's, blacks/white/blues/buffs etc, but are the Reds, silver laced, silver penciled, crele's and partridges out there, are there not many numbers of those, or is it just they are not the "popular" colors right now? If you were to work on one of the last five, which would it be? (i am looking from the variety preservation perspective, not just the solid color since it is not as intimidating as the patterns)

big_smile.png
ROFL for a sec i thought you said something about putting makeup on bluebell...
lau.gif

Question for all, I see a lot of mottleds, mille's, blacks/white/blues/buffs etc, but are the Reds, silver laced, silver penciled, crele's and partridges out there, are there not many numbers of those, or is it just they are not the "popular" colors right now? If you were to work on one of the last five, which would it be? (i am looking from the variety preservation perspective, not just the solid color since it is not as intimidating as the patterns)
well, i don't really think crele is a color found in cochins (tho a barred brown-red has been worked on.

as for the others, they are out there, but in much lower numbers as fewer breeders seem to be working with them... i'm attempting to get some more of the silver and gold laced, red and partridge myself, but it's taking a while. also, the type on these birds is nowhere near as good as for the solid colored and mottled birds.

mille fleur isn't a recognized variety either, but is still very popular. i have those as well myself. other varieties not commonly seen are columbian and buff columbian, and brown-red.

you can find the complete list of color varieties at the cochins international website for both lf and bantam varieties... and i think apa/aba have different varieties accepted too.

Last edited:

Only 4 of the final 5 are recognized varieties in Bantam Cochins. Crele's are a project and beautiful. If in it for the preservation perspective I consider Columbian, Buuff Columbian, Silver Penciled, Silver Laced, Gold Laced, Partridge, Red, Black Tailed Red (the rarest as I have never seen 1), Barred, Birchen, Brown Red, and Lemon Blues as well as ALL frizzles to be rare/endangered also. I think it is a combination of reasons but more people are recognizing what you noticed also. Any of the varieties on your short list would benefit from your dedication to the breed. If you want to know more about where to get what you decide to raise PM me and I will try to help if I can.

Craig

Only 4 of the final 5 are recognized varieties in Bantam Cochins. Crele's are a project and beautiful. If in it for the preservation perspective I consider Columbian, Buuff Columbian, Silver Penciled, Silver Laced, Gold Laced, Partridge, Red, Black Tailed Red (the rarest as I have never seen 1), Barred, Birchen, Brown Red, and Lemon Blues as well as ALL frizzles to be rare/endangered also. I think it is a combination of reasons but more people are recognizing what you noticed also.  Any of the varieties on your short list would benefit from your dedication to the breed. If you want to know more about where to get what you decide to raise PM me and I will try to help if I can.

Craig

The black tailed red... Do you know of anyone who has them? I ask because I have a hen that visibly looks black tailed buff with a couple red feathers. I am using her in my MFC project.

This is the list of APA recognized colors as of July 2010.
Hope this helps someone.

Listed by Breed, variety, year recognized, class

Bantams

Cochin Birchen 1977 Feather Legged
Cochin Black 1874 Feather Legged
Cochin Blue 1977 Feather Legged
Cochin Brown Red 1977 Feather Legged
Cochin Buff 1874 Feather Legged
Cochin Columbian 1977 Feather Legged
Cochin Golden Laced 1965 Feather Legged
Cochin Mottled 1965 Feather Legged
Cochin Partridge 1874 Feather Legged
Cochin Red 1977 Feather Legged
Cochin Silver Laced 1965 Feather Legged
Cochin White 1874 Feather Legged

Large fowl

Cochin Barred 1982 Asiatic
Cochin Black 1874 Asiatic
Cochin Blue 1965 Asiatic
Cochin Brown 1965 Asiatic
Cochin Buff 1874 Asiatic
Cochin Golden Laced 1965 Asiatic
Cochin Partridge 1874 Asiatic
Cochin Silver Laced 1965 Asiatic
Cochin White 1874 Asiatic

For Bantams, the ABA also recognizes as well as all Bantams recognized by the APA:
Barred
Black Tailed Red
Buff Columbian
Lemon Blue
Silver Penciled

This is the list of APA  recognized colors as of July 2010.
Hope this helps someone.

Listed by Breed, variety, year recognized, class

Bantams

Cochin Birchen 1977 Feather Legged
Cochin Black 1874 Feather Legged
Cochin Blue 1977 Feather Legged
Cochin Brown Red 1977 Feather Legged
Cochin Buff 1874 Feather Legged
Cochin Columbian 1977 Feather Legged
Cochin Golden Laced 1965 Feather Legged
Cochin Mottled 1965 Feather Legged
Cochin Partridge 1874 Feather Legged
Cochin Red 1977 Feather Legged
Cochin Silver Laced 1965 Feather Legged
Cochin White 1874 Feather Legged

Large fowl

Cochin Barred 1982 Asiatic
Cochin Black 1874 Asiatic
Cochin Blue 1965 Asiatic
Cochin Brown 1965 Asiatic
Cochin Buff 1874 Asiatic
Cochin Golden Laced 1965 Asiatic
Cochin Partridge 1874 Asiatic
Cochin Silver Laced 1965 Asiatic
Cochin White 1874 Asiatic

For Bantams, the ABA also recognizes as well as all Bantams recognized by the APA:
Barred
Black Tailed Red
Buff Columbian
Lemon Blue
Silver Penciled

So many beautiful colors it is hard to narrow down to just a few.....

Back
Top Bottom