Cochin Thread!!!

The black tailed red... Do you know of anyone who has them? I ask because I have a hen that visibly looks black tailed buff with a couple red feathers. I am using her in my MFC project.

I know of nobody with Black Tailed Reds. I do know of people who are looking for the proper birds to do this but not far enough along to let anything go.

Quote:
Quote: actually i was thinking along similar lines about one of my roos, he's more dark red than buff/golden, and while i classify him as a columbian pattern, he's only got a few marked feathers on his neck, but definitely has a dark tail (blue actually not black, but that could be worked with... i also have a buff hen that matches his markings. they came from my mfc pen. - mommas are blue partridge split mille, so occasionally i'll get a buff/red columbian out of the mix.
found a couple pics... he has less black in his hackles than i thought... pics taken 2.21.2013, (hatched 11.17.2012) i'll try to get some newer ones today. of all of them if i can. LOL

Last edited:
big_smile.png

my first cochins will hatch next week! i set 10 eggs, 9 were fertile! (mille fleur cochins). some of the eggs were from my pullets even! so i'll have new babies to watch grow up and see how they develop.

once my new pens are done, i'll be relocating them to a larger pen and adding another roo and 1 or 2 pullets. i'm actually liking 'keepiru' better than his daddy 'calico'.

not sure if i posted his pic on here...

that was taken in jan or feb, and his cushion/tail is even better now than it was then. and definitely better than his daddy.

i have to say i got lucky with the girls i paired him with. they are producing better chicks than any of them are individually. (type wise).

here's his daddy Calico. from Roslyn Pickens btw.
Wow, those boys are magnificent :)

HELLO EVERYONE I AM NEW TO THIS FORUM! DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN LOOK FOR A BREEDER/SELLER OF SPLASH COCHINS? I HAVE SOME BLUE STANDARD COCHIN CHICKS THAT ARE 1.5 WEEKS OLD SUPER CUTE, AND WILL BE LOOKING FOR A SPLASH ROO (EGGS) AND A "TRUE BLACK" PULLET (NO BLUE IN THE LINAGE). ANY HELP WOULD BE FANTASTIC... WILL POST PICTURES OF MINE SOON :)
I AM LOCATED ON VANCOUVER ISLAND BC CANADA

ok got another (better) pic of my red columbian/blacktail/whatever cockerel (split mille fleur)

and one of the bc girls...

they're both blue-based, not black, but that's easily fixed...

I got Bluebell all primped up last night - bath, nail trim and blow dry. I'm taking her to the Humane Society of West Michigan this morning for the kids to pet, and the Eight West news crew will be there as well so maybe she'll get to be on tv! :D I suppose I better put on some makeup for once...
Newbie question: How do you bathe a chicken. I imagine it's like giving a cat a bath. I have some bantie pullets that could definitely use a bath. lol.

Last edited:
Newbie question:
How do you bathe a chicken. I imagine it's like giving a cat a bath. I have some bantie pullets that could definitely use a bath.

lol.
actually, i was surprised my first time around... i was told to be prepared to get wet. nope. once they settled into the warm soapy water (about to mid-chest depth), they went to sleep. LOL

i used dish liquid to get some suds going in the sink (big 2x2x2 utility sink), and let them sit for a few minutes, then proceed to completely soak/suds the entire bird. i usually leave the head alone to prevent soap in their eyes/nostrils, and use a rag to wipe off any noticable dirt.

once you're satisfied that they're nice and clean (i've had some rescues that took 2 sudsings to get it all), drain and rinse the sink, and fill it again to the same level with clean warm water, and add a cup or so of white vinegar. rinse the bird again. this helps cut any sudsy residue on the feathers that would cause them to clump together. especially for the under-fluff.

the best part of all is the drying. my cochins LOVE being blow-dried. (on low heat setting). i'd sit there, doing one area, then another, flip em over onto their back to get the belly and legs, roll to the side for under the wings, and they were totally content to be babied...

granted, most of the birds i've washed were rescues/adoptees that came from less than perfect conditions and usually required removal of a bunch of vent/belly feathers (scissors mostly) in order to remove the attached mud clods. i also used a mild flea shampoo, to help get rid of lice and mites. so these guys were, i think, especially appreciative of being clean again.

Back
Top Bottom