Cochin Thread!!!

Hey all.

Noticed some more peculiarities with my improving partridge project.

As you can see from the side by sides, one of my partridge chicks has white chest feathers coming in. i have noticed this a lot with nearly all the offspring from my partridge cockerel.

Another case in point is one of the f1's from the same partridge cockerel cross to black seen here. You can see the "red" leakage in the feathers, and the white on the chest.

This little girl also has the same white rear as of one of my previous partridge crosses to black, seen here, the boy also started out with a few white specs, then developed a gorgeous white toush.

This all leads me to believe one of three things.

1. My partridge cockerel has white recessive that is coming out in the f1's.
2. Number one plus my black girls have white recessive.
3. Number one and two, plus my partridge girl has white.

The clincher for me is that the partridge x partridge baby also showing the white chest. Leading me to believe it's my partridge cockerel that is producing the white leakage.

Oh well, as long as my cockerel keeps producing gorgeous boys like this one i am happy
smile.png

i may keep this little guy and put him over my two recessive white girls, one has some slight black feathering. Just to see what pops out.

This does throw a spanner in the works of my improving partridge project, as i keep getting the white leakage in the f1's, breeding that out is going to take a while i guess.
Honestly i dont think it has anything to do with recessive white, since that would turn the bird entirely white and would require both parents to carry it. unlikely in a line of blacks that breed true, IMO. i've seen random white feathering in chicks that goes away with their first adult moult. especially in blacks. and also occasional white feathers popping up where they weren't before, but grow back in the normal color again later. i attribute these to nutritional or stress factors.

Hey all.

As you can see from the side by sides, one of my partridge chicks has white chest feathers coming in. i have noticed this a lot with nearly all the offspring from my partridge cockerel.

Another case in point is one of the f1's from the same partridge cockerel cross to black seen here. You can see the "red" leakage in the feathers, and the white on the chest.

This little girl also has the same white rear as of one of my previous partridge crosses to black, seen here, the boy also started out with a few white specs, then developed a gorgeous white toush.

The clincher for me is that the partridge x partridge baby also showing the white chest. Leading me to believe it's my partridge cockerel that is producing the white leakage.

Oh well, as long as my cockerel keeps producing gorgeous boys like this one i am happy
smile.png

i may keep this little guy and put him over my two recessive white girls, one has some slight black feathering. Just to see what pops out.

This does throw a spanner in the works of my improving partridge project, as i keep getting the white leakage in the f1's, breeding that out is going to take a while i guess.
My Blacks often have white on their wings, feet, and chest as juveniles.

My Black X Golden laced males all had red/gold hackles and saddle feathers.

One of the problems with most Golden laced (esp. the males) are white tipped foot feathers.

I agree that recessive white is likely not involved.

Hey everyone, I just started reading this thread so it might have already been posted but does anyone have standard silver laced cochins? If so any pictures? I just got myself a trio so would love to compare to someone that has had them for a bit.
Thanks
Don

Honestly i dont think it has anything to do with recessive white, since that would turn the bird entirely white and would require both parents to carry it. unlikely in a line of blacks that breed true, IMO.  i've seen random white feathering in chicks that goes away with their first adult moult. especially in blacks. and also occasional white feathers popping up where they weren't before, but grow back in the normal color again later. i attribute these to nutritional or stress factors.

After doing a bit more reading on recessive genes your answer makes sense to me. I still feel my roo has white and is the cause of the white feathers in these chicks. That is why I am getting so many of them. Thanks for the thoughts:)

Last edited:
[quote name ="dak" url="/t/195235/cochin-thread/13740#post_10759748"]My Blacks often have white on their wings, feet, and chest as juveniles. 

My Black X Golden laced males all had  red/gold hackles and saddle feathers.

One of the problems with most Golden laced (esp. the males) are white tipped foot feathers.

I agree that recessive white is likely not involved.
[/quote]

I have done a bit more reading and agree with you both. The level of white I am getting on the partridge and black boy at the bottom is not going to go away with a moutling though. They have solid white chests. I am convinced it is my cockerel that is to blame.

Thanks for the insights. I have a lot to learn still

Last edited:
Holy colored cochin cooter! I learned something new today
yuckyuck.gif
It looks like it works. I wonder what the hens think of that? LOL!
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

What a choice of words. lol Made me laugh.
big_smile.png

So today I thought I would take some Easter photo's with my son and our new cochin pullet. He usually loves the chickens but would not sit still and pretended to be scared of her so he didnt have to sit down. (after the camera was off he was petting her and held her)...so this is how the photo shoot went.

1)Ryland crying scared of the chicken & sitting still
2)photo opp. of Lacy..my kid wont pose but Lacy would
3)finally getting Ry to sit still while he harasses the cat
4)Lacy sunbathes while Ry harrases cat

Disclaimer_he is not choking cat, just overly loving her(mama checked the grip he ad on her lol), thank goodness she is patient with him.
Your son is beautiful! So are Lacy and kitty.
The cat doesn't seem to mind the big hug.
big_smile.png

Hey all.

smile.png

It looks to me like you may have the mottling gene at work here. The partridge looks like it has white tips on some of its partridge feathers, the mostly black bird shows some mottled feathers, and my mottled boys all had white bumms and a white chest like that. Now a lot of the white on the partridge chick still looks like down to me not feathers. The belly is the last to truly feather out. The mottled gene takes two copies is it possible that each of the parents have one copy of the mottle gene and it showed up in the chicks unexpectedly? Good luck figuring it it out. Here are pics of my young mottled stock so you can see the similarities. Here they were about four months old.

Wanted to share my son's 4H birds we picked up from Erin this weekend. He is totally in love with Buddy:

And Cutie Pie:

We also picked up 3 blue mottled hens and 8 black and white mottled chicks (one of these will be my sons's second pullet).

We are both so thrilled with our new babies!

Back
Top Bottom