Cochin Thread!!!

LOL these are my first cochin bantams I got 2 pair which I know isn't a good ratio of hens to Roos so I'm in the market for more hens of course. I want to start a frizzle project with my daughter she loves the lil curly feathers she says they match her hair. Lol. The two poor lil hens I got were just tore up I had to split them up i couldn't stand them looking so rough.
Any options on hen saddles for these Cochins been checking them out does anyone use them and do they help??
Never heard of " hen saddles " but if you mix in a bit of chick food it has more protein and their feathers grow faster

Quote:
SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT FOR COCHINS INTERNATIONAL MEMBERS ONLY!! The Summer (August) 2013 Online (Cochins Only) Show is fast approaching! Entries will be accepted between August 1st and August 7th; judging will take place between August 8th and August 14th.

I am very happy to announce that our Judge for the Summer show will be Donald Barger!

Plenty of time in the next 10 days for you to suds up those birds and take some great photos!

Please remember that this is the LAST show for 2013 - there will be no Fall show, as you should all be busy entering your local sanctioned shows!

Please refer to the "Online Show" tab on the website for complete rules and instructions. www.CochinsInt.com
Thanks for the reminder. unfortunately all my best birds have been either moulting or broody (or a roo's favorite girl) so far this summer, not to mention free ranging in our AMPLE supply of MUD. LOL so foot feathering is a mess at best on just about everyone.

Quote: in my experience, hens that are 'loved' too much the feathers are broken off, not pulled out, so they still have to wait and moult them out.

Hmm, I will certainly never have to buy saddles for my girls. My rooster dances like mad, but only on rare occasions actually mates with anybody. I know he came from a line where AI has been the only means of procreation for a long time - I wonder if that has a lot to do with it, that the drive to actually mate has been bred out. Maybe I need to play them a chicken version of Barry Manilow or something.
big_smile.png

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT FOR COCHINS INTERNATIONAL MEMBERS ONLY!! The Summer (August) 2013 Online (Cochins Only) Show is fast approaching! Entries will be accepted between August 1st and August 7th; judging will take place between August 8th and August 14th.

I am very happy to announce that our Judge for the Summer show will be Donald Barger!

Plenty of time in the next 10 days for you to suds up those birds and take some great photos!

Please remember that this is the LAST show for 2013 - there will be no Fall show, as you should all be busy entering your local sanctioned shows!

Please refer to the "Online Show" tab on the website for complete rules and instructions. www.CochinsInt.com
Noooo!!! My birds are moulting too.
lau.gif
th.gif
I think I'll clean up my rooster anyway and see what he'll look like.

Back
Top Bottom