Cochin Thread!!!

caf.gif

Quote:
I keep mine on clean deep shavings and wire. Cochins naturally have pretty strong foot feathers, much stronger then my silkies, they hardly ever break foot feathers unless in a breeding pen or cockerels fighting with eachother. For that reason alone I don't keep my cochin cockerels together when they get of breeding age.

Shari

I am not quite understanding. How can you keep Cochins on wire and still have deep bedding? Doesn't the bedding fall through the wire? I have read about this in different forum posts and would really like to understand how this is done.

Thank you

I am not quite understanding. How can you keep Cochins on wire and still have deep bedding? Doesn't the bedding fall through the wire? I have read about this in different forum posts and would really like to understand how this is done

I keep them on wire AND/OR shavings. You couldn't keep the shavings on the wire, it would be impossible, it would fall through. The wire I use is the same wire they use in the bottom of rabbit cages, it's best if you can find it coated, it's easier on the feet but not necessary. You can use bigger wire, the idea is for the poop to fall through, the smaller the wire the harder it is for the manure to fall through the wire, it will stick on the feet and you don't want that, keeping them clean as possible is the goal. I also have show cages, I purchased from Keipper Cooping here's the website http://keippercooping.com/poulty.htm those I keep the deep shavings in to keep my show birds in condition. I also have several breeding areas and grow pens for babies, all are kept on clean, deep pine shavings. Hope that helps:)

Shari​

Here's my Blue Cochin Rooster. He was hatched out the day before my daughter was born. That's puts him at 7 months old today. His name is Pete.

13020_downsized_1027091702a.jpg

Edited to add: That's a Frizzle hen's butt to the left of him. I'd like to cross-reed them.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow, there are a lot of good looking birds out there. and a lot of good photos.

I wanted to know, would you guys mind if I did paintings of your birds. I've already done one of chicken_boy_Kurt's pair

Everyone birds are so pretty! Here are a couple of mine.
Sally I have high hopes for her
41687_sany0407.jpg

Bruno silver pencil roo. someday he might get all his feathers.
41687_sany0419.jpg

Ken Really pretty golden laced roo
41687_sany0446.jpg

Millie
41687_sany0428.jpg

Group shot
41687_sany0425.jpg

I would like to breed next spring. But we will see.

Quote:
I don't mind at all! DH and I have Scooter on our credit cards, then we gave folks permission to use the same picture on their cards. I think it would be so cool to see someone use Scooters image on their own card!

Personally I'd like to see you finished pictures if you use any of my birds, we love artwork of all kinds!

Here are two of my young Brown Red Bantam Cochins.

brownredroooct30.jpg

brownredpulletoct30.jpg

They are about 3 1/2 months old now.

They are my first auction on Eggbid, but if they don't sell. I'll be glad to keep them around
smile.png

Just bought my first pair. I am hooked, and ordered another pair from the same guy. I didn't know these birds were so nice.
Pair 7 month oles
PoPs & Peaches

376223605.jpg

376223607.jpg

376223609.jpg

Last edited:
I just wanted to say that I love everyones cochins. I have been hit with the cochin bug. I would love to find some really nice bantam cochins. But at the moment I do not have an incubator. I also need to make coop space.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom