Cochin Thread!!!

kabhyper1 you do not have to compete with my chicken pics your pics are just as great and your chick just as cute as mine!!! I think if we photo shopped them and added chicks to either pic you would never know they did not belong together. Look at how sweetly Cinder looks at Lavender, I just love it!!! I really like your gold laced bantam pullet too, she is beautiful. BTW... Jewel was so happy to dust bathe, she knocked the chicks over several times. My 10 year old daughter was so afraid for the chicks but I told her they would be fine Jewel would not hurt them. Thank goodness I was right, they learned real quickly what a dust bath was and to keep their distance. It has been neat having our chicks share a hatch day, I look forward to seeing Cinder grow and sharing pics.

Ok so I just googled black wheaten chickens witch lead me to black copper. Looks just like yours. Best I can tell black wheaten and black copper are the same color just goes by a differnt name based on the breed. But when the rooster mature they are very handsome.
I have black copper marans hens and they do look similar but I found a site with all the color combos of cochins with pictures recognized and un-recognized and I believe them to be brown-reds I googled it for more pictures and found these

This also makes me super happy because what I have read so far states they are not easy to get a hold of? If anyone knows anything about this color pattern and if I'm right please let me know =D

I got this little dude by way of soft heart. He was the only one left and was making all kids of little chirps. I could not leave him so I took him too. He has changed so much I have several photos of him showing how much he has changed.

Meet Fonzie!! ( He is a Ladies Man)

I cant compete with Rhandi74, but Lavender and Cinder went out to dust bathe while I cleaned the brooder. Cinder didnt try it, but she did look at her crazy mother funny when she did it. :) Lavender has a lot of broken back feathers, I hope she molts out this fall.

My little bantam girls. They are a little over 4 months old. Nothing spectacular, but I like them. The little barred Is a sweetheart. I thought she was a boy for a long time because she was so brave and bossy as a chick. But shes all girl, shes just a people lover.

You have a great looking group! And LOL...Cinder was probably thinking "Why does momma wanna get all dirty???"...LOL

I got this little dude by way of soft heart. He was the only one left and was making all kids of little chirps. I could not leave him so I took him too. He has changed so much I have several photos of him showing how much he has changed.

Meet Fonzie!! ( He is a Ladies Man)

He is beautiful! I love his name! I had a little sizzle roo that I hatched out this year who looked similar, wish I could have kept him but I already have one roo too many ;)

Last edited:
Here are pics of the new chick and the cute family out and about. I am really baffled by the new chicks color. I am assuming it is only half cochin but my hens are 2 white rocks, a lavender Orpington, and Jewel. It is very pretty just surprised with the color. Blu is being such a good rooster keeping the rest of the flock away from the chicks and helping Jewel feed them. He is very gentle and treats them like he knows they are his.

That is standard patterning of asiatic brown or eb genes. A lot of colours are built off that genetics base. Could be partridge, gold laced or even wild type. It is hard to say without knowing the full history. But it appears to be a pullet.

See here for more examples.

Last edited:
I have black copper marans hens and they do look similar but I found a site with all the color combos of cochins with pictures recognized and un-recognized and I believe them to be brown-reds I googled it for more pictures and found these

This also makes me super happy because what I have read so far states they are not easy to get a hold of? If anyone knows anything about this color pattern and if I'm right please let me know =D

The pictures shown here are brown reds. True brown reds are very hard to get hold of.

Yours may be brown reds, or a mixture of pretty much any colour and an asiatic base gene. I have created very similar birds by crossing recessive white to partridge. Maybe even gold wheaten playing a part.

Good luck with you birds, hope they turn out well.
smile.png

Here you can see a similar effect i made by crossing recessive white into a partridge line. note the markings on the pullets neck (right of the image)

They do appear similar to a brown red, but would not breed the same way. Not saying that this is the case with yours, just that it is possible to create almost any pattern wit some selective breeding. The only way to tell for sure would be to know the full history of the birds
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Here are pics of the new chick and the cute family out and about. I am really baffled by the new chicks color. I am assuming it is only half cochin but my hens are 2 white rocks, a lavender Orpington, and Jewel. It is very pretty just surprised with the color. Blu is being such a good rooster keeping the rest of the flock away from the chicks and helping Jewel feed them. He is very gentle and treats them like he knows they are his.

with that Egyptian eyeliner, you will have to name her Cleopatra!

He is beautiful! I love his name! I had a little sizzle roo that I hatched out this year who looked similar, wish I could have kept him but I already have one roo too many ;)

He is always chasing the girls around. He can get rough with them so I got him some hens his size he can have to himself but he has to wait till they grow up. :)

That is standard patterning of asiatic brown or eb genes. A lot of colours are built off that genetics base. Could be partridge, gold laced or even wild type. It is hard to say without knowing the full history. But it appears to be a pullet.

I love that it is a pullet but still not sure how it came to be. It is very neat!!!

Here are my hens that lay

And here is my rooster

My bantam cockerels

I do not think these guys are successfully breeding but I know it is possible

Back
Top Bottom