Cochin Thread!!!

This is Big Mama or as the children call her Feather Legs

Can y'all tell me what this color pattern is called? She is the most friendly chicken in my flock. She follows me around like a puppy and she lays way better than I expected (5-6 week). I'd love to cross her with my Biel roo (crele coloring) and I'm curious what would come of it.

She is a partridge!!

I have a Big Mama too!!

This is Big Mama or as the children call her Feather Legs

Can y'all tell me what this color pattern is called? She is the most friendly chicken in my flock. She follows me around like a puppy and she lays way better than I expected (5-6 week). I'd love to cross her with my Biel roo (crele coloring) and I'm curious what would come of it.
Her pattern is reasonably good and getting good penciling is very difficult. Are you breeding your Crele to her because he's what you have, or do you have a goal in mind. Where did you get a Crele Cochin? To my knowledge, they are only being bred as projects at this time. Your plan involves two very difficult patterns to breed correctly and my first thought is that it would be a nightmare. The barring in the Crele would destroy the pencilling in your hen. As far as autosexing is concerned, neither of the varieties you mentioned are autosexing. To be considered autosexing, the chicks must be identifiable at hatch. I do not see that you have anything to gain by making this cross.

Her pattern is reasonably good and getting good penciling is very difficult. Are you breeding your Crele to her because he's what you have, or do you have a goal in mind. Where did you get a Crele Cochin? To my knowledge, they are only being bred as projects at this time. Your plan involves two very difficult patterns to breed correctly and my first thought is that it would be a nightmare. The barring in the Crele would destroy the pencilling in your hen. As far as autosexing is concerned, neither of the varieties you mentioned are autosexing. To be considered autosexing, the chicks must be identifiable at hatch. I do not see that you have anything to gain by making this cross.

My crele is a Bielefelder roo. They are auto sexing for sure lol I purchased this breed to hatch duel purpose birds. There's been some discussion on the Biel thread about Biels lacking any broodiness. People have crossed them with Silkies but those are still chicks so no idea as to how that's gonna work.
My intended purpose in crossing the two is to try and introduce some bloodiness into my Biels without losing body size and preserve their auto sexing.
It's just an idea. Of course I know I can always just keep a Biel or a silkie or some other known broody breed. I'm just curious to see what could come of the mix. A feather footed Biel would be interesting.

My crele is a Bielefelder roo. They are auto sexing for sure lol I purchased this breed to hatch duel purpose birds. There's been some discussion on the Biel thread about Biels lacking any broodiness. People have crossed them with Silkies but those are still chicks so no idea as to how that's gonna work.
My intended purpose in crossing the two is to try and introduce some bloodiness into my Biels without losing body size and preserve their auto sexing.
It's just an idea. Of course I know I can always just keep a Biel or a silkie or some other known broody breed. I'm just curious to see what could come of the mix. A feather footed Biel would be interesting.
I see, so your primary interest is in the Bielefelders, not the Cochins.

I see, so your primary interest is in the Bielefelders, not the Cochins.

You make it sound like a bad thing lol. Big Mama is lovely. My experience with Cochins has been great so far. I have a 2 week old biddy in the brooder right now. So I will continue to have them. But as far as breeding, yes, my focus is on the Biels

You make it sound like a bad thing lol. Big Mama is lovely. My experience with Cochins has been great so far. I have a 2 week old biddy in the brooder right now. So I will continue to have them. But as far as breeding, yes, my focus is on the Biels
Sorry if I sounded ???. Posting to the internet can be difficult since none of the tone and inflection are communicated along with the comment. I intended to simply shift my focus since this is a Cochin page, I was assuming Cochins were the breed you were interested in, so my feedback was aimed at improving them. Again, sorry for the misunderstanding on my part.

Sorry if I sounded ???. Posting to the internet can be difficult since none of the tone and inflection are communicated along with the comment. I intended to simply shift my focus since this is a Cochin page, I was assuming Cochins were the breed you were interested in, so my feedback was aimed at improving them. Again, sorry for the misunderstanding on my part.

Understood. My intention wasn't to take to focus away from the Cochin breed. Just curious how her traits would pass on if cross bred.
My Cochin is wonderful. She was given to me by s friend with a mixed flock that didn't want her broodiness although she's not shown the slightest sign of being broody with me. I enjoy her so much I have a new little Cochin in the brooder. Hopefully she will be a she or I'll be trading it and depending on availability may not be able tiger another Cochin.

No one has been on for a few days so I thought I would share some pics from some of my bantam and LF cochin I got the other day.

Chuckie

Charlie

London

Paris

Violet

Skeeter

Greybird

And these are some of my Large fowl

This is Elsa

Aurora

Jasmine

ELLA
They are adorable chickiebaby1! There very pretty and cute names! Neat frizzles!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom