Cochin Thread!!!

Cochin Keepers,
I have a question that I hope you might be able to answer. I have got an asortment pack of bantam cochin eggs and have a group of chicks in different colors. All of the eggs were carefully markes as to the color, etc. One of the eggs that was marked BBS (Black, blue, splash) now has a blue black and a white front, which looks a lot like my group of black mottled chicks (from a different breeder). I was wondering if y'all thought this one might be a mottled blue, or do blues sometimes feather out this way. I have a blue pair that were day old chicks form Ideal and they looked very different. There was another egg marked BBS and it looks more like a blue (although there may be some white spots on the chest?? hopeful thinking?)
Those of you with more experience with blues and mottleds, let me know if you think I have a mottled or just a blue that's feathering out differently.

Oh, yes, I looked on the website of this breeder and they do indeed have blue mottleds, but they were not listed as part of the assorted colors for sale.
59584_blue_and_black.jpg

59584_blue_mottled.jpg

and then this is a pic of the other blue with possible white spots??
59584_blue_and_buff.jpg

Thanks so much,
Robert

Have a question that someone might be able to give some advice to:

We have 6 Partridge Bantam Cochins in our flock and they seem to have the most problems with mites. We have been alternating between Sevin-5 and Flea & Tick powder (for dogs) for dusting the birds and the bedding, as well as having food grade DE for them to dust in. It always seems that the 2 boys are the ones that have the most. In fact today we ended up removing feathers on all the birds around the vent area and dusting but needed to give the 2 boys a bath as well to help remove everything. We are lucky that we have a heated garage that they can hang out in to completely dry off(we helped by drying them with towels and a hair dryer)

Is there something else that works better or just as well that we can use in rotation so the mites don't start building up resistance to what is being used?

thanks

Quote:
I use a product called Iveron (Ivermectin pour on from TSC, its for cattle) put about 6 drops on a bantam cochin near the vent and they will be good for at least a month on mites and worms. You can also use about 4-6 drops of frontline pour on for dogs for mites

Quote:
I got a couple from MyPetChicken in the Spring. You can order as few as 3 LF at a time, and they can sex them for you. My Cochins are not the worst as far as type goes, which is great as hatchery quality goes!
Good Luck!

Quote:
I use a product called Iveron (Ivermectin pour on from TSC, its for cattle) put about 6 drops on a bantam cochin near the vent and they will be good for at least a month on mites and worms. You can also use about 4-6 drops of frontline pour on for dogs for mites

I happen to use both products so I have it on hand, can you still use the eggs for either hatching or eating?

Quote:
Do you hatch? I have LF cochin and could sell some eggs when it gets a little warmer toward spring.

No, not at the moment
hide.gif
That's what the Cochins will be for
smile.png
Though; if all goes well, I just might, maybe, have an incubator by late Winter... Only time (read money) will tell.

I took new pictures of my Cochins. All of them are 8 mo. or less. They sure do change with time!
Partridges-
63162_dscn3274.jpg

63162_dscn3305.jpg

63162_dscn3272.jpg

Mille Fleurs-
63162_dscn3270.jpg

63162_dscn3292.jpg

63162_dscn3293.jpg

My back-up Mille roo, he has too much black, (my best roo, above, has too much red)
63162_dscn3297.jpg

My 7 week old Mottles-
I got them to improve my Mille Fleur's type.
I love the cockerel, nice green already and amazing foot feathers.
63162_dscn3309.jpg

63162_dscn3312.jpg

This one may be a solid blue-
63162_dscn3281.jpg

My lavender project chicks-
63162_dscn3276.jpg

63162_dscn3291.jpg

My husband's sweet little buff-
She mothers the Mottles.
63162_dscn3296.jpg

I just LOVE them all. They are so much fun.

I have a question about the Partridge roo in the 1st pic. He is almost 6 mo. old. Will the white down showing behind his hackles disapear with time and is it a bad flaw?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom