Cochin Thread!!!

Quote:
Anyone? Help, please.
sad.png

Humm...
hmm.png

I've had cochins before ( still have a few infact ) and they're pretty hardly little birds. But are you talking about Standard or Bantam sized Cochins? As long as they have a nice safe/storm proof coop GO FOR IT!

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Quote:
Anyone? Help, please.
sad.png

Humm...
hmm.png

I've had cochins before ( still have a few infact ) and they're pretty hardly little birds. But are you talking about Standard or Bantam sized Cochins? As long as they have a nice safe/storm proof coop GO FOR IT!

I live here too, and yes, the cochins do fine here. However, if given the chance, I would provide them with a covered run. Ours are not covered, and the mud is pretty foul at this time of the year, and of course it builds up on their feathered feet. You may need to give their little legs a soak now and again to clean them up. That is really the only issue here for the cochins that I have found to be problematic. But the mud can be a problem really for any breed. Especially if you have an active rooster. He can get the backs of the hens pretty muddy too. Luckily my girls like to bathe the birds, so that's just how we deal with it for now. Eventually, I hope to be able to cover their runs.

Full size breed would be my interest. Thank you for the encouraging replies...

On that note; when does the broody and mothering start to kick in? As in reliably so? I've read many breeds don't faithfully do so until their second year. How do Cochins typically favor in their timeline?
Once again; thank you!
big_smile.png

Quote:
OOOH do tell! I just live in Stillwater and love my 1 Cochin. Would like to have some more. Where exactly is it, when, etc etc? I would love to go and to meet another frickin chickin nut would be awesome!
big_smile.png

Quote:
OOOH do tell! I just live in Stillwater and love my 1 Cochin. Would like to have some more. Where exactly is it, when, etc etc? I would love to go and to meet another frickin chickin nut would be awesome!
big_smile.png

Dec. 11th-12th
The Heart of Oklahoma Exposition Center
1700 W. Independence
Shawnee
Located off of Highway 177 and Independence Street
PM me with your # and we will meet. There are alot of people from the Okies in the BYC that will meet there and have lunch.
I just sent you a PM

Last edited:
Today I went to a poultry show in Va., they had some cochins on display there. I raise the Partridge Cochins, these were the blue, and some white cochins..they looked like minature Turkeys. Mine are very large, but not that large. Now again it could have been because mine are in a hen house and not in cage at eye level. So I talked to the lady that had won the ribbon and she said the Partridge is not as large, but for me to keep breeding them..they will eventually get there..she has been doing it for years..is this true is the partridge variety smaller..and I don't mean like several lbs. smaller, because mine aren't, but hers were ENORMOUS.

D'Angelo N Va. :

Today I went to a poultry show in Va., they had some cochins on display there. I raise the Partridge Cochins, these were the blue, and some white cochins..they looked like minature Turkeys. Mine are very large, but not that large. Now again it could have been because mine are in a hen house and not in cage at eye level. So I talked to the lady that had won the ribbon and she said the Partridge is not as large, but for me to keep breeding them..they will eventually get there..she has been doing it for years..is this true is the partridge variety smaller..and I don't mean like several lbs. smaller, because mine aren't, but hers were ENORMOUS.

How much do yours weigh? I eyeballed my GL cockerels, and thought they might be 8 lbs or so- weighed them and they are 6.6 lbs! lol They still have some growing to do, and I have some breeding to do...
lol.png

D'Angelo N Va. :

My Partridges are the smallest of my bunch. I have a variety of colors but my partridges are tiny compared to the rest of them so I think it's true.

Laurie​

Back
Top Bottom