Cochin Thread!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Settler'sDreamFarm, Jun 7, 2009.

1. GaLinemansWife

GaLinemansWife Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    Dallas
    Quote:Look at those beautiful feet!!! Great looking cochin![​IMG]

2. thecochincoop

thecochincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:do you have any side pics of her standing? and yes i am going to indy. depending on what she looks like we may have a deal [​IMG]
    also some pics of her feet

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  3. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I'll have to get pix of her. She is not terribly cochiny but the color is there at least. And she has feathered legs and a single comb, so half the battle is won lol. She is large fowl, did I mention that? I see you are working on bantams, so that might be a deal breaker. She is a small bird so far....my cochin rooster isn't terribly large. I'll have to look and see how old she is. Crossing her with a nice gold laced roo should do wonders....

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    All of these pictures from everyone are just awesome. I am going gaga [​IMG]

Casey those white cochins ae beautiful!

5. thecochincoop

thecochincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:how big are we talking? i have some ee hens that are not much larger than a bantam. how big is the roo? maybe take a pic of the blr hen next to something for size comarison

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Is anyone in need of some nice bantam black roos? I have too many and they seem to be getting on each others nerves. When winter comes I fear it will be too much. I cant decide which ones to keep, they are all nice I think. I should take picts and see what you all think. [​IMG]

BTW Yeah I have an Ameraucana X bantam cochin and she looks like a mildly larger bantam salmon favorelle. size wise

7. Black Cochin Bantams

Black Cochin Bantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Iowa
    Quote:When I want to thin my Blacks I start by looking at birds for type then with culling all birds with a white or red feather on them. Then I look at eye color. Leg/foot color(skin not feather) Combs that are not erect or are over sized are culled. I cull all birds with less that 4 points on comb or over 6 points with 5 being ideal. I hope this helps you decide which birds to thin out.
    Craig

8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    OK thanks Ya I think one has a bigger comb and will look at leg color. Also I think one 's tail is not umm right exactly. I will secretly rate and then put pics up and see what you all think. [​IMG]

I am more than likely going to be killing the ones I dont keep .[​IMG] I hate to do it, but..........

9. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Quote:how big are we talking? i have some ee hens that are not much larger than a bantam. how big is the roo? maybe take a pic of the blr hen next to something for size comarison

I have bantam mottled cochin chicks from the same hatch week that I can compare her to. She is smaller than her lf hatchmates but bigger than the bantams. I will work on getting better pix of her. She is just a cochin cross but I have gotten some really neat colored birds out of my cochin crosses lately. She hatched very end of june or first day or so if july....so she is right around 15-16 weeeks old.

10. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    LF white frizzle hen
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by