Cochin Thread!!!

Quote:
I believe he is a mix cochin and when you mix blue with other genes like Db(columbain restrictor DarkBrown) Ml(Melanotic) with this genes the color can resemble a splash bird but I don't think he is splash as my Boy is just like him with black,white and blue feathers at the same time.

Just popping in to see if anyone can tell me what color this young LF Cochin might be . Mother was lemon/blue - Father was blue/red Partridge ? Her / his colors are much richer than my pics show . Looks like a lemon/blue splash if there is such a color .

Thanks for any help .

[
67664_buckeyes_and_others_015.jpg
img][/img]
[
67664_buckeyes_and_others_011.jpg
img][/img]

Quote:
you are on the money..! Mother was E^R/E^R and mother eb/eb and since E^R is dominant over eb then the chicks will comeout looking like a E^R Birds. and mixing Blue and Blue together gives you a 25% chance of Splash.

and now how the red color was enhanced, its another matter, it could be Mahogany enhancing the red

Last edited:
I have a couple of questions about my buff cochin MaxMaxine- he/she was the mystery chick sent in our order and definitely my favorite (I feel bad saying that) of the bunch! All of the others are araucana/americaunas. I hope this is the right place to ask these questions.

First question - how high can they normally jump? I feel bad because all the other chickens perch together on a roost that is about 5 ft off the ground; he plops himself on the edge of a flat surface about 2 ft off the ground and doesn't use the other lower perches that are about 2-3 ft off the ground - he can get up onto them, but seems to prefer the flat surface. I want to get another buff cochin so he'll have a buddy to perch with! He is a lot bigger than the others and had a broken/torn wing which seems to have fully healed.

Second question - what are their sounds/calls normally like? His sounds more like a honk than the chattery sounds the others make. I just want to know if that is normal or if I should be worried about a cold or respiratory illness.

Thanks for any input!

Hi all! I love cochins, i have a trio of this years black cochins, i also have 4 five week old chicks (1back,3white) and 7 white 2 week old chicks. Pictures to follow soon x

Quote:
you are on the money..! Mother was E^R/E^R and mother eb/eb and since E^R is dominant over eb then the chicks will comeout looking like a E^R Birds. and mixing Blue and Blue together gives you a 25% chance of Splash.

and now how the red color was enhanced, its another matter, it could be Mahogany enhancing the red

Thank You ! Wow ! You are really good
smile.png
pretty much greek to me but I will study up .

Quote:
Finally, some time to comment on the show! Somwhere in my 48 hour work week last week; I was able to get to Crossroads on Friday. the 2 1/2 hour trip up was well worth it! It was really nice meeting you Nancy! I LOVE my Birchens, that little roo is the cutest!! When I talk to him he cocks his head off looking like he's trying to figure out what I'm talking about. The little Birchen pullet is a doll, absolutely adorable~ I think they are just beautiful~ The little black/Birchen is pretty content with the red brown roo, she's not to keen on any other girls around lol. She's friendly to me though and likes her roo so all is well. Thank you so much for meeting me at the show and bringing me my pretty babies. Now I'm trying to figure out if I can get to the Ohio show!! I've got the bug!
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom