Cochin Thread!!!

Well, Miss Buttercup is much happier now that her sister (we hope) has joined her. Not a great pic, but here is Butterbean.

Another one of Butterbean:

And happy Miss Buttercup enjoying her company:

Looks like a cockerel to me. It is also a curlie, which is a huge no-no when breeding frizzles. If you were to keep these birds they can not be bred together.

~Casey

Originally Posted by samouw

Well, Miss Buttercup is much happier now that her sister (we hope) has joined her. Not a great pic, but here is Butterbean.

it just occurred to me... they have 5 toes and pink feet? what are they crossed with?

I love my Cochin. He is only 3 weeks old but has a distinctive personality. His name is Mr. Marshmallow . This is him yesterday while he was exploring their run.

Well, the five toes sounds like a Silkie to me. They may not be half Silkie but I'm guessing it's in there somewhere to some extent. Are they standard? The one picture of Butterbean kind of looks like she/he could be a standard or maybe it's just not feathered completely on the legs and feet making it look tall.
That was very thoughtful of you to get the two of them for companionship even though they can't be bred together (if Butterbean is a male). Of course it's not to say they can't be together and even breed, just don't hatch the eggs.

Originally Posted by samouw

it just occurred to me... they have 5 toes and pink feet? what are they crossed with?

I just got 7chicks yesterday and 3 of them are cochin mixes. Also got a frizzle that is part cochin!

Box of chicks!

Our frizzle chick!

One of the cochin mixes. This one is yellow with gray/blue markings. Could that end up being a splash coloring?

This is the one that we think may be part polish. The head area looks slightly bigger.

Last edited:
I can't open your links
idunno.gif

I just got 7chicks yesterday and 3 of them are cochin mixes. Also got a frizzle that is part cochin!

Box of chicks!
chicks3-19-12.png

Our frizzle chick!
frizzlechick3-19-12.png

One of the cochin mixes. This one is yellow with gray/blue markings. Could that end up being a splash coloring?
yellowgraychick.png

This is the one that we think may be part polish. The head area looks slightly bigger.
cohinpolishmixchick.png

I have a question It may have been asked already but Im gonna ask it again Why cant you breed two frizzles together ? What will you get or what will happen ? I have been pondering this for some time and for the life of me I cant figure it out Thanx for any help on this

Mike
big_smile.png

Bantyman~My understanding is that the feathers will be very brittle and there will hardly be any feathers. The poor chickens will not have adequate coverage from the sun or the cold weather. It is not a pretty sight.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom