Cochin Thread!!!

I finally hatched out my first Silver Penciled Cochins last night. Silver Penciled Cochins are a recognized variety that in not common. I have only seen one person ever show Silver Penciled. My way of describing SP is think Partridge in Silver. 4 live chicks so far. More SP eggs in the incubator.The chicks look so Partridge at this age.
Some Chicks The Rooster does not really look this color. The flash gave him a funny color/glow

The Hen with the Rooster in the background

Love them!
love.gif
If I had the time I would be begging
bow.gif
for some of these.

Last edited:
Does anybody here know the outcome of a mile fleur X splash cochin?

I don't quite have my chicken color genetics all worked out like I do with my duck color genetics, but I believe they'd primarily hatch out Blue, leaking some gold, and perhaps with some Mottling or Columbian markings. It really depends on the specific genetics of the Mille Fleur you're using.
smile.png

I don't quite have my chicken color genetics all worked out like I do with my duck color genetics, but I believe they'd primarily hatch out Blue, leaking some gold, and perhaps with some Mottling or Columbian markings. It really depends on the specific genetics of the Mille Fleur you're using.
smile.png
Well thanks. I think I'm gonna try it. Just to have fun little project. I've got the birds and I've got the time.

Love them!
love.gif
If I had the time I would be begging
bow.gif
for some of these.

I finally hatched out my first Silver Penciled Cochins last night. Silver Penciled Cochins are a recognized variety that is not common. I have only seen one person ever show Silver Penciled. My way of describing SP is think Partridge in Silver. 4 live chicks so far. More SP eggs in the incubator.The chicks look so Partridge at this age.
Some Chicks The Rooster does not really look this color. The flash gave him a funny color/glow

The Hen with the Rooster in the background
Thank all of you for the positive comments and for the interest in these. These Silver Penciled birds need lots of work. Will continue to hatch every egg she lays and cull hard.
Craig

Last edited:
It has been a while since we have talked about recognized varieties. Thought I would bring back something I posted last year. The last part is what Gail added to complete the list of recognized varieties. More than a few are quite scarce. The first group of Bantams are recognized by both APA and ABA. The last group only ABA.

This is the list of APA recognized colors as of July 2010.
Hope this helps someone.

Listed by Breed, variety, year recognized, class

Bantams

Cochin Birchen 1977 Feather Legged
Cochin Black 1874 Feather Legged
Cochin Blue 1977 Feather Legged
Cochin Brown Red 1977 Feather Legged
Cochin Buff 1874 Feather Legged
Cochin Columbian 1977 Feather Legged
Cochin Golden Laced 1965 Feather Legged
Cochin Mottled 1965 Feather Legged
Cochin Partridge 1874 Feather Legged
Cochin Red 1977 Feather Legged
Cochin Silver Laced 1965 Feather Legged
Cochin White 1874 Feather Legged

Large fowl

Cochin Barred 1982 Asiatic
Cochin Black 1874 Asiatic
Cochin Blue 1965 Asiatic
Cochin Brown 1965 Asiatic
Cochin Buff 1874 Asiatic
Cochin Golden Laced 1965 Asiatic
Cochin Partridge 1874 Asiatic
Cochin Silver Laced 1965 Asiatic
Cochin White 1874 Asiatic

For Bantams, the ABA also recognizes:
Barred
Black Tailed Red
Buff Columbian
Lemon Blue
Silver Penciled

Does anyone have bantam cochin eggs in or closer to Ohio. I am getting horrible hatching rates with the PO this year and would like to find some closer so not so far of a trip for my last order. I am looking for these specific colors and would like to get most from 1 shipping:
calico/mille
blue calico
silver laced
lemon blue
blue

Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that, Craig! I had actually gone to the Cochin Int site looking for this info and couldn't find it.

I never really realized/thought about it, but the 2 varieties of Cochins that I have aren't even recognized. Although I have a source for quality LF BBS when I have a pen built to put them, and I'm getting some nice mottleds in the fall.

That is really interesting, there hasn't been any new varieties recognized since 1977?!

Thanks for posting that, Craig! I had actually gone to the Cochin Int site looking for this info and couldn't find it.

I never really realized/thought about it, but the 2 varieties of Cochins that I have aren't even recognized. Although I have a source for quality LF BBS when I have a pen built to put them, and I'm getting some nice mottleds in the fall.

That is really interesting, there hasn't been any new varieties recognized since 1977?!
These thoughts are only my opinion and not based on any hard information.

I believe that the next Cochin variety that will come up for acceptance will be Bantam Self Blue. I think it will be the first variety that will be organized and meet all the criteria for acceptance. Splash might be close if there is someone who gathers the data and can organize enough people to show their birds. I see no other bantam variety being good enough and having enough fanciers to gain acceptance within the next 10 years.
I know of no large fowl varieties that will come up soon. I would love to see LF Columbians and Mottleds good enough and wide spread enough to gain acceptance.
Craig

These thoughts are only my opinion and not based on any hard information.

I believe that the next Cochin variety that will come up for acceptance will be Bantam Self Blue. I think it will be the first variety that will be organized and meet all the criteria for acceptance. Splash might be close if there is someone who gathers the data and can organize enough people to show their birds. I see no other bantam variety being good enough and having enough fanciers to gain acceptance within the next 10 years.
I know of no large fowl varieties that will come up soon. I would love to see LF Columbians and Mottleds good enough and wide spread enough to gain acceptance.
Craig
I and Jennifer Bowles are working on getting the splash accepted. We have enough birds and people to do it at the ON this fall but no one from CI is getting back to her about it. I think the time may be out or at least close to it to get the paperwork in. If there is a way to get everything in order in time we could possibly have it done this fall

Back
Top Bottom