Cochin Thread!!!

I LOVE MY SILVER LACED BANTAM COCHINS!!
love.gif

if i may ask, where did you get them? i'm trying to add silver and gold laced, even to the point of a hatchery, but the last 2 batches came in doa... so i'm giving up on that route.

Okay fellow chicken people, I really really need some help/advice.

I have a young Cochin hen who has been brooding for a few weeks now. We've tried icing her, dipping her butt in water, locking her out of the coop, putting her in a cage suspended on boards, and NOTHING we have tried will break her. She's lost a lot of weight and because she's been sitting on her feet all the time, she's gotten a nasty case of scaly leg mites that we are almost done treating.

She's frustrated my mom to the point where my mom is ready to get rid of her if we can't turn her around soon. I really love this hen, I've raised her from a baby and she's the sweetest bird there is. I'd be heartbroken if we had to give her to a farm. I plan on really working intensively with her this weekend to break her, however, I'm worried my efforts will be for naught if I don't try something new. If anybody has any advice for me, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you so much.

Give her a couple of chicks. That will fix her lol.
Hey, I'm looking to add to my bantam lemon blue flock. I would like to purchase eggs or trade for some of mine. Does anyone have any or even just show quality blues I could get in the spring?

Last edited:

I have a young Cochin hen who has been brooding for a few weeks now. We've tried icing her, dipping her butt in water, locking her out of the coop, putting her in a cage suspended on boards, and NOTHING we have tried will break her. She's lost a lot of weight and because she's been sitting on her feet all the time, she's gotten a nasty case of scaly leg mites that we are almost done treating.

She's frustrated my mom to the point where my mom is ready to get rid of her if we can't turn her around soon. I really love this hen, I've raised her from a baby and she's the sweetest bird there is. I'd be heartbroken if we had to give her to a farm. I plan on really working intensively with her this weekend to break her, however, I'm worried my efforts will be for naught if I don't try something new. If anybody has any advice for me, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you so much.
Can you go to the feed store and buy her a chick? I've only ever had 1 bantam Cochin, and I just got her a few days ago, but I used to breed standard Cochins and they were not about that broody breaking business. Some of them would even dupe me to the point where they'd join the rest of flock for a day or two two then they'd be right back at it. So, I'd buy them a single chick from wherever I could find one and let them be mommas. I suggested the feed store bc you can usually buy sexed pullets there. Good luck :) she's very pretty, I wouldn't want to give her up either! Nikki

how long did you keep her caged? it'll take up to a week or sometimes more for them to forget being broody.

also, if the scaly leg mite is bad enough, she may be staying in the nest simply because her feet hurt...

what i've done with mine, i just put them in the rooster coop. there are NO nest boxes, just a roof walls and roosts, and lots of roosters (ok well 4-6) with no other girls to pay attention to. LOL works every time. within 2-3 days she's forgotten all about broody and loving the attention. but i usually don't get eggs again for a few more weeks. it takes that long for her system to recover and get ready to lay again.

Last edited:
Wow! I am hearing great things about cochins and I love the look of them!!! Really hope to get one!

You won't be able to stop at just one! I just love cochins with their cushy butts and feathered feet! They are so funny to watch walk!
Yeah, you can't have just one!
What's even funnier than watching them walk is watching them run. Hysterical!
lol.png

Yeah, you can't have just one!
What's even funnier than watching them walk is watching them run. Hysterical!
lol.png
lau.gif
ok I'll prepare for a few...I just love the look of them and have heard how lovable they are! I REALLY hope I can get my hands on at least one!!
fl.gif

Just a quick reminder to everyone that you still have about 27 hours left to enter and be part of the Premier Online All-Cochin Show! The entry deadline is Midnight Thursday, February 7th.

www.CochinsInt.com
This looks like so much fun! But you have to be a member and I'm not, and to be a member you have to send a check... is there anyway to become a member and submit an entry tomorrow? I could send the check tomorrow, but they wouldn't have it before the deadline...
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom