Cochin Thread!!!

Well I put my other chickens together and same thing, once I added the rooster the hen quit laying. I am thinking they don't like my pick in roosters. LOL. Any tips.

They are beautiful! I am new to Cochins and a glutton for punishment as I have chosen a project color to start with - Bantam Buff Barred, but these Blue Mottled have certainly caught my eye. Maybe down the road... much farther down the road. LOL!
ok guys I wanted to show off my blue mottled girl (Dotty) and her man (Justice)... I really love these two so sweet and gentle...

I love bluebell! You can send her over here.
smile.png
She is such a doll. As she dried out more and preened up, she got even more puffy. We had her on the kitchen counter and she kept dust bathing in the wood shavings and shaking her big cochin booty and making my kids laugh while they were trying to eat lunch.

^it does work! On day 3 there was still a lil bit of dye but barely. The hens didnt mind. :) After the weather warms up I will be doing this to my pullets weekly so If anyone lays I know who does.

Hi all!

I am the happy new owner of my first Cochin! She (I hope it's a she) is a Blue Cochin named Monsoon. I decided to get her when I was busy picking out several other breeds to add to my laying flock. With Cochins, are there any tell-tale signs I should watch for to know whether or not it is indeed a pullet? They were supposed to be professionally sexed, but we know how that goes sometimes...
So far, her personality is extremely sweet. She is very mellow and will lay down on my lap or in my hand. A lot of my other chicks (all different breeds) are a lot more rambunctious.

This is her at about 1 1/2 weeks...

Here she is at about 3 weeks...

once cochins decide to be boys, it's pretty obvious, very quickly. the comb and wattles will turn pink/red and start growing rapidly. usually by 4 weeks or so you can tell them apart.

best guess i'd say you've got a pullet but i'm not going to bet on it. LOL

Back
Top Bottom