Cochin Thread!!!

Feathersprings, how old is the Partridge in this picture? I have two that are 7 weeks old and I'm still not sure what gender. No pink in either comb and no sign of wattles, but one is quite a bit bigger than the other even though the same age. The larger one has a very noticeable yellow comb and the other one has just a start of a comb. I'll keep them both no matter, but I was thinking I'd be able to tell by now. (These are my first two chicks :)

Feathersprings, how old is the Partridge in this picture? I have two that are 7 weeks old and I'm still not sure what gender. No pink in either comb and no sign of wattles, but one is quite a bit bigger than the other even though the same age. The larger one has a very noticeable yellow comb and the other one has just a start of a comb. I'll keep them both no matter, but I was thinking I'd be able to tell by now. (These are my first two chicks :)
They are not quite 4 weeks old. The blue one has a much smaller yellowish comb so I figured it was a pullet and the black one seemed pretty obviously a cockerel. I was not so sure about the partridge. These arent my first chicks but Im not familiar with this breed. Why dont you send some pictures of yours. I understand by that age they are pretty easy to tell!

My Cochin chicks are growing fast. I need to take some good pictures of them but this morning was taking other pictures and snapped this of them and my white silkie chick in their pen. Hope i dont have more than one boy in the bunch , If so it will have to go
frow.gif

Out of your 3 cochins you have two cockerels.

They are not quite 4 weeks old. The blue one has a much smaller yellowish comb so I figured it was a pullet and the black one seemed pretty obviously a cockerel. I was not so sure about the partridge.   These arent my first chicks but Im not familiar with this breed. Why dont you send some pictures of yours. I understand by that age they are pretty easy to tell!

I don't know if this helps you guys out or not but this is my 5-6 week old partridge. She is a female. I have no doubt.

Comb height from the side.

Hi Feathersprings,

Here's a couple of pics:

If you click on the pictures, you'll get the larger version, which shows them pretty well.

The smaller chick (Diesel) has always had less feathers, and just a bit slower in all physical aspects, which is supposed to lean toward a roo. He/she is very active and friendly, though. His/her comb seemed a bit scuffed up when I got them from a local feed store at 1-2 days old. It healed well, but that may be why the comb is so different. Dannie's comb is all yellow, Diesel's is mostly black with just a tiny bit of yellow starting to show at the back.

What do you think?

And thank you MidsummerNight! The pics are very helpful. I think I have 2 pullets, but would be fine with a roo or two. Partridge Roos are gorgeous birds, hens are too...plus eggs!

I have a Black Roo and 2 Blue hens I am looking to sell. The come from quality lines and are nice looking birds. Just trying to reduce my herd as I have 20+ chicks coming up.

What are your opinions on these guys?

This is the roo I have.

One of the Blue hens.

They are just laying good and are laying fertile eggs. All of the young i have are coming from my herd. Ive just got way to many.
Located in Southern MI.

Hi Feathersprings,

Here's a couple of pics:

If you click on the pictures, you'll get the larger version, which shows them pretty well.

The smaller chick (Diesel) has always had less feathers, and just a bit slower in all physical aspects, which is supposed to lean toward a roo. He/she is very active and friendly, though. His/her comb seemed a bit scuffed up when I got them from a local feed store at 1-2 days old. It healed well, but that may be why the comb is so different. Dannie's comb is all yellow, Diesel's is mostly black with just a tiny bit of yellow starting to show at the back.

What do you think?

Top picture. The one with the orange tip beak might be a roo. The other is a pullet for sure. So cute.

Hi Feathersprings,

Here's a couple of pics:

What do you think?
I think i need to take some better pictures of my chicks lol! They are so cute! I love partridge roosters so was hoping the black and blue were pullets and the partridge was a cockerel but pretty soon I was pretty sure the black was a cockerel. So I will hold onto some hope the well feathered partridge is a pullet with a large comb
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom