Cochin Thread!!!

They are just amazing, MidsummerNight! I'm so glad I gave in and bought my two! I had 5 Golden Laced Wyandottes and 5 golden Comets ordered to come on June 12th, but these were so cute, and right there...they got me! and I have so enjoyed watching them grow up! Can't wait now for the new babies.

Feathersprings, I agree. I have always suspected Deisel (orange tipped beak) was a little roo. He/she is lighter colored, always had a golden collar, and feathering out so slow. But no wattles or pink on their combs at 7 weeks? Time will tell, and I'm very happy with them!

I am new to cochins.
Any idea on the sex of these two?

I have a Black Roo and 2 Blue hens I am looking to sell. The come from quality lines and are nice looking birds. Just trying to reduce my herd as I have 20+ chicks coming up.

What are your opinions on these guys?

This is the roo I have.

One of the Blue hens.

They are just laying good and are laying fertile eggs. All of the young i have are coming from my herd. Ive just got way to many.
Located in Southern MI.

He sort of looks like an lightly marked Mottled to me. If he is really a Black I would not use him as a breeder. Type looks pretty good on him. She looks OK.

ok... what would you consider this guy? he's from my own breeding, of blue partridge split mille hens with a mille fleur/calico roo...

I have another growing out much like him but a bit darker red with a much smaller tail/cushion.

i'd almost be tempted to say red tailed black? red/Columbian?

could he be used to work on a red tailed black line? anyone know what genetics are behind that variety? I can't seem to find much out about them.

here's mills. (as a chick he had some white speckling, so we thought he'd be mille fleur). he belongs to a friend, but she needs to rehome him, so i'll be taking him back to find someone for him. (if he doesn't stay).

forgive the odd pose. LOL and yeah his wings could be tighter.
but i'm more interested in what color he might qualify as.

ok... what would you consider this guy? he's from my own breeding, of blue partridge split mille hens with a mille fleur/calico roo...

I have another growing out much like him but a bit darker red with a much smaller tail/cushion.

i'd almost be tempted to say red tailed black? red/Columbian?

could he be used to work on a red tailed black line? anyone know what genetics are behind that variety? I can't seem to find much out about them.

here's mills. (as a chick he had some white speckling, so we thought he'd be mille fleur). he belongs to a friend, but she needs to rehome him, so i'll be taking him back to find someone for him. (if he doesn't stay).

forgive the odd pose. LOL and yeah his wings could be tighter.
but i'm more interested in what color he might qualify as.

Closest thing he is to right now probably is Buff Columbian. I could see him in a breeding program for Black Tailed Red. Casey is using BC as part of his start along with a Red if my memory is any good. A good start for a resurrection of a lost variety. Now to get one like him in a deep intense red and more black on wings and coverts and you really have something special.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom