Cochin Thread!!!

That chick feather down shows that the baby is almost certainly on an e+ (called wild type) or Eb (called partridge or Asiatic brown) base gene.

That means that whichever rooster created that chick was carrying that base. Also at least one of your hens is carrying one of those base genes. That gives you the distinctive "chipmunk" pattern on that chick that you see now.

I couldnt tell you from the picture which bird it was, as i dont know the history of your birds. But i can tell you for certain that that chick is on one of those base genes
big_smile.png

Having said all of that, you can build a huge variety of colours on those base genes, so there is no way to know for certain what the little girl is going to look like. But the thick stripe across the eye is a very strong sign that the chick is female.

Good luck and keep us posted on how it develops.

Yay! I got my babies from ideal!
celebrate.gif
I got 4 assorted cochins (I will get pics once they settle in some more), I got 4 assorted crested, I got 4 assorted sebrights, and 4 assorted d'uccles!
bow.gif
I think I have a black, golden lace, buff, and maybe a partridge? im not sure but I will get pics soon.

That chick feather down shows that the baby is almost certainly on an e+ (called wild type) or Eb (called partridge or Asiatic brown) base gene.

That means that whichever rooster created that chick was carrying that base. Also at least one of your hens is carrying one of those base genes. That gives you the distinctive "chipmunk" pattern on that chick that you see now.

I couldnt tell you from the picture which bird it was, as i dont know the history of your birds. But i can tell you for certain that that chick is on one of those base genes
big_smile.png

Having said all of that, you can build a huge variety of colours on those base genes, so there is no way to know for certain what the little girl is going to look like. But the thick stripe across the eye is a very strong sign that the chick is female.

Good luck and keep us posted on how it develops.
Thank you, I will certainly post pics as she grows so we can all see how she feathers out.
smile.png

with that Egyptian eyeliner, you will have to name her Cleopatra!
That is a great name but I already have a Cleopatra and she would love to eat the chickens. She is a dachshund and she surely has the attitude to go with the name. She is not allowed near the chickens.

We have chosen Cole as a name for the black chick with red on it's face.

I would love name suggestions for the remaining 3 chicks.

Yay! I got my babies from ideal!
celebrate.gif
I got 4 assorted cochins (I will get pics once they settle in some more), I got 4 assorted crested, I got 4 assorted sebrights, and 4 assorted d'uccles!
bow.gif
I think I have a black, golden lace, buff, and maybe a partridge? im not sure but I will get pics soon.
YAY! Did yours all make it to your house alive? I would go get some Life-Lytes mega tabs to put in their water asap. When I ordered my chicks in May they arrived with very high travel stress. It has Vitamins and Electrolytes in it and it just goes right in their water. I hated the first week of having mine. Was so stressed out to go to bed cuz I was worried I would wake up to a dead chick! >.< Cant wait to see your order! Congratulations!
wee.gif

I have a hen that is 3 years old ,and is acting like she has no depth perception. Her head kinda sways when she is sitting still. I've got her on poly vi sol. She seems like she may have some respiratory stuff too. No drainage but she breathes with her mouth open sometimes and her eyes seem squinty. Her stool is normal. She eats and drinks. Has a little trouble finding the food though. She knows where it is, just has trouble discerning how close it is to her face. She pecks air sometimes. She is also trying to be broody, so thats complicating things a bit. She seems to feel fine, just dizzy. Its really weird.I just wormed them 2 days ago with valbazen. She was acting like this before that though. I was also going to treat for coccidia with corid if the yellow foamy poops from some of the others isnt fixd with the valbazen, but if she is having a vitamin deficiency, Im not sure thats a good idea. Any thoughts?I know silkies are prone to this stuff. I just want to get her treated before it gets worse. Sorry guys I clicked the wrong thread. Stupid tablet. Ill post on the silkie thread lol

Last edited:
YAY! Did yours all make it to your house alive? I would go get some Life-Lytes mega tabs to put in their water asap. When I ordered my chicks in May they arrived with very high travel stress. It has Vitamins and Electrolytes in it and it just goes right in their water. I hated the first week of having mine. Was so stressed out to go to bed cuz I was worried I would wake up to a dead chick! >.< Cant wait to see your order! Congratulations!
wee.gif
Did all of your babies make it?

We finally came up with names for Jewel's chicks

Sunshine

Snow White

Maybaline

Cole

My kids helped name them. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom