Cochin Thread!!!

Beautiful birds everybody.

I have 2 STD Cochin hens (1 Blue, 1 Partridge). They are a little over 2 months now. I'm thinking about getting some more and find that the bantams seem to be available in more of a variety of colors. What do you all think about keeping bantams and STD's together?

I also read somewhere that a bantam roo x STD hen would not be fertile. Is that true? Very curious why that would be? If it WAS fertile, what would you get?

~Terry

Quote:
Fertility is not the issue. More like the mechanics of doing the deed. You could AI. dak

Quote:
Terry,
I have standard Partridge cochin hens with a bantam Brahma roo and while, I sometimes run into infertile eggs.
This is what I hatched out btw ( & I think I have hens that prefer to throw hen babies as both were girls)-
34160_img_1084.jpg

Quote:
Fertility is not the issue. More like the mechanics of doing the deed. You could AI. dak

Oh no, I wasn't thinking I WANTED to breed them, just that I had read that somewhere & wasn't sure why.
But oh my gosh! chicken AI? now THAT I'd like to see!

Quote:

Oh no, I wasn't thinking I WANTED to breed them, just that I had read that somewhere & wasn't sure why.
But oh my gosh! chicken AI? now THAT I'd like to see!

Ask and you shall receive:

Quote:
Terry,
I have standard Partridge cochin hens with a bantam Brahma roo and while, I sometimes run into infertile eggs.
This is what I hatched out btw ( & I think I have hens that prefer to throw hen babies as both were girls)-
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/34160_img_1084.jpg

Jenn, CUTE babies!
I found the infertility thing very interesting. but obviously as you have proven even the little boys can get the job done now & then!
Any problems with the 2 sizes together? Do your bantams get picked on? Did they all grow up together?
Right now I have the 2 STD cochins, a light Brahma and a Buff Orpington (all about 2 1/2 months) with a Silkie hen who just started laying. (Her buddy was killed and she was lonely so I put her in w/the babies since right now they're all the same size). They all seem to get along now, so I hope that as they grow they won't really see her any differently.

Back
Top Bottom