Cochin Thread!!!

Quote:
Are you having your wedding the day of the Portage show this fall. I will be very close on the way up and hope to see your Columbians. I don't have as many hatched as I had hoped to by this time but still have over 40 candled fertile Columbians eggs in the incubator and collecting eggs every day. Keep smiling!

The show is usually the last weekend in September, so it should be the weekend after the wedding.
smile.png
And we'll be there! We're planning a late honeymoon in Greece next summer.

My White Cochins finally started laying! I have so many eggs to set, I don't have enough room for them in the 'bators! I've been talking to someone who has an antique redwood cabinet incubator with around a 500 egg capacity for sale locally, and it's in working condition - they've been hatching in it! Needs a little TLC, but it looks awesome. Fingers crossed that I'll go pick it up later this week!
fl.gif

It's hard to tell, what I can see looks like a single comb, not much there though.
I thought it looked like a light brahma bantam in color but I posted in the brahma thread and they thought it was a cochin, LOL. So here I am.
big_smile.png

Whatever it is it's my favorite. I sure hope it doesn't turn out to be a roo, it probably will though.
tongue.png

It's more silvery tipped on the wings and back of its head than it looks in the photo and it's back is black.

I'm thinking maybe a blue or even a birchen or silver pencilled. if you can post a pic of the comb close up that might help. also if it's a cochin post pics of its wing feathers spread out and I can give you a pretty good guess as to it's sex

Ok, I will do that tonight. I will take some photos and get her comb and from the back and side as well.
Can you feather sex cochins? Is that what you want to look at?

I kept some LF blue cochins from this same group and of the two I kept one has both short and long (darker) feathers and the other ones (very light blue) are all the same size. I figured if it worked I would have proof in a few months, LOL.

edited to add these came from McMurray and I don't recall that they had silver penciled but I could remember wrong.

Last edited:
I don't know if you can see it, but this little girl has blue underneath her red. What color would she be called? Just red? I need to get a shot of her cushion, it's so pretty! Thanks!
chicken2.jpg

Chicken.jpg

Last edited:
Ok what do yall trim spurs with? i have a bantam buff cock that needs a spur trim be fore the show on sat. Also is it a bad thing that he has been fighting other roosters and has those black spots on the comb?

Thanks
~C.

I'm pretty excited! I don't have any cochins YET, but I have just won an eBay auction for bantam black mottled cochins (6 + plus any extras that day). I've never tried to get eggs thru the mail, so this will be a new endeavor. But the seller has many, many reviews with a 99.4% positive feedback. Anyone have experience with mail order eggs? I heard that I should let the eggs rest before placing in the incubator. Does anyone know how long they should rest and at what temp? Thanks!
wee.gif
Did I mention that I was pretty excited?! Michelle

Back
Top Bottom