Cochin Thread!!!

Okay, so blue in cochines behaves the same as with silkie--don't know why I thought is was different, but I did. So, blue is out as well then--at least for the start up color. What about mottled? Does motledxmotled just pruduce motled? I know we'll have to work on type, etc., I'm just trying to simplify one portion of the equation!

So, if you'll forgive me for asking one more question...what do you think of these birds? I got them from a local guy who was selling off all his bantams. He was advertizing them as show quality, but even I can see the hens tail is too stiff and neither of them look like the birds I see on here. What do you think--are they breedable? Or just pet quality?

Don't mind the weird color of the roos eye--that's just the camera. His eye color is the same as the hens, and they are both a shiny black.

Okay, so blue in cochines behaves the same as with silkie--don't know why I thought is was different, but I did. So, blue is out as well then--at least for the start up color. What about mottled? Does motledxmotled just pruduce motled? I know we'll have to work on type, etc., I'm just trying to simplify one portion of the equation!

So, if you'll forgive me for asking one more question...what do you think of these birds? I got them from a local guy who was selling off all his bantams. He was advertizing them as show quality, but even I can see the hens tail is too stiff and neither of them look like the birds I see on here. What do you think--are they breedable? Or just pet quality?

Don't mind the weird color of the roos eye--that's just the camera. His eye color is the same as the hens, and they are both a shiny black.

I would not call them SQ if I was selling them. Hens tail not good. Check out post 8380 on this thread for what a good tail/cushion is like. If I was in North Carolina I would be talking to Judy Gannt who has real SQ birds. If she didn't have any she might know who does.

I got these two before I'd really looked into them--I will definitely email Judy! I guess I'm just trying to decide what to do with this pair. We've gotten kind of attached to them, but at the same time I suspect they shouldn't be joined with any future flock or they'll bring the whole flock down.

If your interested in Cochins and would rather not have birds shipped, Judy Gantt lives in Lawndale and she has amazing birds. Her Mottleds are some of the best and she has won BB and Champion of show with her Mottleds on several occasions. She also has White frizzles as well. She may actually be at this show. She also had a frizzle pullet receive Champion of Show, but I cant remember what color, I think Black.

On a side note, I took this pic showing what it looks like walking towards the house from the coop. This is my cousin who walked down while I was feeding and when he walked back my birds followed. Lol

~Casey

Too cute! Love those fluffies.

Here are my Cochins :D What do you guys think of my Roo? Is he show quality? I'm really interested to see what the chicks will look like when they grow up too! The pictures of the hens are the possible mothers. What do you think? Mottled?

From what I can see in the photos I like your Birchen. He looks clean on the breast area with about the correct amount of lacing. He "appears" clear of shafting, it's very hard to see clearly, but that's what I'm able to see in the photo. I'm guessing that he is young, so I think the white foot feathers will molt out. I can't see what his wing set is like, but I'm wondering if may be a little loose. I'm saying that because of the lay of the saddle feathers and how they look like they are over or above the wings. I just can't see it very well, so I don't know for sure. He may be a little tall, but that also could be that he is standing upright because he is alarmed or curious. All in all I like his general appearance. It would be VERY nice if you could find a Birchen pullet or hen for him. If you find one or more, try to get girls that have color a little on the light side. If you get a girl with heavy front lacing, your offspring will be over marked.
Nice boy.
smile.png

Here are my Cochins :D What do you guys think of my Roo? Is he show quality? I'm really interested to see what the chicks will look like when they grow up too! The pictures of the hens are the possible mothers. What do you think? Mottled?

Does anybody have photos of a show quality standard cochin rooster. It can be any color. I just wanted to see what they look like. The fairs around my area really aren't big on chickens. They're more into cows. Most the birds you see aren't ven fully feathered. They are molting or have mud all over them.

Back
Top Bottom