Cock-a-doodle Stop!

lm2011grad

Chirping
May 28, 2013
Oakdale, CA
We have 6 chickens we've raised up from chicks. There are 3 Rhode Island Reds and 3 Barred Rocks. They aren't laying yet but we expect they'll be starting soon they are 19 weeks. One of our Red ladies and One of our Barreds seem to both think they are roosters. Every morning at sunrise first the red crows then the barred crows. LOuD! The red thinks she is a rooster, she even has these two long tail feathers and little bumps where spurs should be. The problem is we live in town and the city ordinance allows for chickens but not roosters because of the sound. So there lies our problem. We are afraid the neighbors will soon complain ( I know I would! ) It isn't just in the morning either there is a constant flow of cock a doodling coming from our two birds! Any ideas?

Welcome to BYC -they sound like roos to me!
You can't stop them. You raised them well and now it's time...
Start looking for new homes for them before someone complains, good luck.

@eddiefrank - welcome to BYC and the dark barred rocks are girls

sorry I agree. sound's like males to me also. I know how you feel. I had to re home two of mine that started crowing. I wish you the best and again I'm sorry.

We are suddenly realizing that although we purchased 6 PULLETS UGH we are looking at 3 roosters and 3 hens. We are super sad about this because that means we are going to lose 50% of our flock! So mad and frustrated.

Its like a game , you never know what your going to get ! Ive got 12 baby chickens month , I stared at them everyday hoping they will be all pullets ! Last summer I hatched 10 and end up with 5 roosters ! All had to go.

Back
Top Bottom