Cockerel and a ? into the coop today

DontesChicks

Chirping
Jun 9, 2019
Northwestern PA
C7A73F5F-FED9-49AD-8A01-4287181FDD86.jpeg 378BCF34-C09E-417B-9E3D-D0891E953FEA.jpeg E4D13A28-920B-4814-8A52-4C75E71BCA4F.jpeg
Banner day here with our two almost 6-week old chicks.
Cornelius started crowing. I was very disappointed, as I was hoping for two females. We still do not know the gender of Chick Norris, and I’m hoping it isn’t another cockerel.
We finished the coop today and moved Cornelius and Chick Norris into it. They seemed to adjust after some nervous investigating. Maybe I was still bummed about Cornelius, but it seemed to me he was a little aggressive with Chick: jumping toward it with flapping wings, and chasing it. My questions are
1) what do I do if Chick Norris is also a cockerel (we really don’t want more chickens)
2) even if Chick is a pullet, will Cornelius be too aggressive or over-breed her
3) can anyone tell me their breeds? I assume Cornelius is some type of red, but don’t know about Chick Norris. I don’t see any other color growing in and the comb is small.
I’ve attached their pics. Thanks so much for your input and advice.

This is not what you want to hear, but even if Chick Norris is a pullet, she probably won't be happy/healthy living with a rooster, one on one. He will breed with her way too often. If Chick is a boy, they may get along OK, but you will just have two roos that make noise and don't lay eggs.
And it doesn't look like your coop is large enough for more than two chickens.

This is not what you want to hear, but even if Chick Norris is a pullet, she probably won't be happy/healthy living with a rooster, one on one. He will breed with her way too often. If Chick is a boy, they may get along OK, but you will just have two roos that make noise and don't lay eggs.
X2

I agree it isn’t what I want to hear, but it is what I expected. We don’t have room for any more chickens. If Chick should be a female, would she do ok on her own if we found a home for Cornelius? They’ve been together since day one.

Just these two. Grandson’s science project.
Wow. I think he’s chosen the wrong science project. Chickens are very costly! As Lucky said above, you cannot just keep 1 rooster on 1 pullet. The general rule is 1 rooster on 10 hens. Even if it is either a cockerel or pullet, that coop is not enough room for 2 chickens. Not a great science project to pick from! He will either need to take up looking after chickens as a hobby and buy a bigger coop. Sell both chickens. If both are cockerels (which it looks like to me) sell them as they will fight and they will be unhappy in that space and unhappy with any hens.

I agree it isn’t what I want to hear, but it is what I expected. We don’t have room for any more chickens. If Chick should be a female, would she do ok on her own if we found a home for Cornelius? They’ve been together since day one.
She would not do okay on her own sadly as chickens are social animals and can never be kept just by themselves, they also need a companion or two. Chick looks like a cockerel to me, can you please post clear picture of her (especially its comb) But if Chick does turn out to be a pullet, you will need to get her another pullet and also a bigger coop.

Chickens are flock critters, and do best with company. We don't realize how complex their social structure is until we create a situation that is off-kilter, then we see the problems arise. One chicken by itself is not good. If Chick turns out to be a girl, you could get another same size girl...one that is obviously a girl... for company for Chick. Even that is a little risky, but after some careful introduction, it may work out well. If you don't want to deal with that, it would be better for Chick if you give/sell her/him as well as Cornelius.
One idea, if your grandson really wants chickens, is to get rid of those and get a few bantams. Pint size, 3 girls might be fine in there.

Back
Top Bottom