Cockerel hurt feet?

AikoGami

Chirping
Mar 25, 2021
15 week cockerel. For the past 3 day I noticed that he seems to be hurt whenever he jumps from a foot or more of height. When he jumps onto or off of my lap or a roost, he lifts up and down his feet like he's stomping around for a bit.
I first noticed it when he jumped off a height of 3feet perhaps. I originally thought it was because he stepped on some misshapen pebbles or something. Waited to see if it would go away, but it still hasn't.

I've seen a bit of the bottom of his feet but I've seen nothing and the rest looks normal. I've looked online and here for a similar question but all I see are broken legs and mites.
Tried to get an angle where u can see the whole leg.
Took pic incase I dont see what u experts do 😞
20210627_092134.jpg
20210627_092145.jpg

Edits: spelling and added pic

Last edited:
That's the problem. Jumping down repeatedly day after day, will bruise the feet causing tissue inflammation which can lead to infection unless you intervene and prevent it from continuing.

Having nothing to cushion the dismount from a perch can also cause hairline fractures of the legs.

The solution is to install cushioning material, wood shavings, straw or sand under the perches.

Give this chicken a small space in which to recover, and let him sleep in a crate rather than on a perch until he heals.

That's the problem. Jumping down repeatedly day after day, will bruise the feet causing tissue inflammation which can lead to infection unless you intervene and prevent it from continuing.

Having nothing to cushion the dismount from a perch can also cause hairline fractures of the legs.

The solution is to install cushioning material, wood shavings, straw or sand under the perches.

Give this chicken a small space in which to recover, and let him sleep in a crate rather than on a perch until he heals.
Thank you😞:hugs

This is a mistake a lot of us have made. I felt badly, too, when four out of five of my young Welsummer pullets came down with bumblefoot. I figured it out on my own, though. I had a poop board on the floor under their perch. I didn't realize they weren't jumping off beyond it into the shavings. They were jumping straight down onto the hard board.

I treated their bumblefoot and immediately lowered their perch and took away the poop board. They never got injured again.

We can know everything when we start out raising chickens. We all make mistakes.

This is a mistake a lot of us have made. I felt badly, too, when four out of five of my young Welsummer pullets came down with bumblefoot. I figured it out on my own, though. I had a poop board on the floor under their perch. I didn't realize they weren't jumping off beyond it into the shavings. They were jumping straight down onto the hard board.

I treated their bumblefoot and immediately lowered their perch and took away the poop board. They never got injured again.

We can know everything when we start out raising chickens. We all make mistakes.
I just put everything down and am hoping he heals quickly. I hate asking questions every now and then but I love how this community helps out very quickly and kindly. Thank you and I will definitely keep on learning!!🤧💕

Back
Top Bottom