I agree with the lack of awareness. Imo that’s the problem with most people and their roosters.
These threads go straight to hell with everyone saying the same thing. She already said she didn’t want to kill him yet people have to say “freezer camp” like a 5 yr old.
I wonder just how many roosters the “experts” have raised. I don’t care if they’ve had chickens for 70 yrs. That might equal about a dozen roosters or so. When I say raised I mean raised to maturity not culled young, butchered for meat etc.. to be able to accurately say whether or not the rooster will change for the better or worse.

So your saying you think the rooster understands the difference between “cuddling” and “handling with a different intent”?
No, I mean that most people with chickens they will show know more about and spend more time on learning proper handling.

As others have said, sorry to say, you have a bad bird. If you aren't going to kill him or rehome him to a farm (where they don't care) then you now have to be the bigger, meaner rooster. Every time you see him, stomp your feet and chase him. Chase him like you mean to kill him. Flap your arms and yell. Every time you can and positively if he approaches you and prepares for an attack. He is no longer a pet, he's an adult, aggressive rooster and you are going to have to live with it ... or not. Not all roosters are assholes but many are. Get rid of him and find a nice rooster. You don't want to breed him or give him to someone who will use him to produce chicks. This just makes more mean roosters. Do not give him to someone else and not tell them that he is mean. That is passing on a liability, especially if they have children. Wherever he goes, he should be caged in a run and not allowed to free range.

He’s not a free-ranger, he has a run. He usually mellows down when I hold him, I also don’t let other people go near him... for safety.

This might be a chunk of his attitude.
Iv'e never had a penned fella fare very well.
It always seemed to make them more sassy.
Nobody puts cockbird baby in a corner I suppose.:caf
He’s not a free-ranger, he has a run. He usually mellows down when I hold him, I also don’t let other people go near him... for safety.

I'm afraid I have the same rules as everyone else and the same experience.
Roosters raised largely hands off and later taught to behave when handled briskly tend to fare better around humans than roosters raised with love and cuddles. I've had some boys sneak into my pullet groups (fooling me into thinking they were hens until late) and they were always a mess.
I've never been able to 'rehabilitate' those roosters. And I don't want that behavior in the next generation even if it only gets nurtured in not natured in.
The hands off roosters sometimes got "feisty" around the age yours is and would/will mock charge at me if I was handling hens. I'd scoop them up and carry them in uncomfortable positions or chase them right back, usually with a broom. No matter what they never got away with it and learned to keep their distance fast. They also never made contact and would pull up several feet short.

My big concerns are charging with intent to make contact, flogging and spurring. Any of those is a death sentence for a rooster on my farm because any of those can cause serious harm to me. I'd like to keep my eyes. I have 2 and 8yr old nephews across the street who like to visit and would be helpless if charged. I read a story of someones kid who got spurred in the back and if it had been an inch to the left it would have hit their spine and paralyzed them and as it was it was a multithousand multi week hospital process to heal. Some people have been hit in the head or the face and it's been serious.

Frankly, you can try things like brooms or carrying him upside down and generally bullying him when he gets close to you. But if it doesn't work out FAST that's not a bird you wanna keep and it's irresponsible to pawn him on someone else.

Consider, if you will, even if you won't value your own physical well being over his. How will you enter your pen to watch your hens and observe their behavior? How will you lift them to inspect for or treat injury if you're home alone? If you need to lift a sick chicken gently or slowly, is it safe for you to do so with a rooster ready to attack you? Is it safe to run into the pen in an emergency? Is it safe to clean the coop? Is it safe to check on a broody hen and her eggs? Will your fear let you become resentful and complacent, giving less enrichment and care to the whole flock? Because in my experience it will.

Will your hens suffer along with you because YOU choose to keep an aggressive rooster?

Meanwhile, there's 9 extra roosters born, minimum, for every flock of 10. How many nice ones will get put into stew pots this week that could be living with your hens instead? I don't think I could count how many nice, friendly, people-sensitive roosters I've seen raised only to end up in stewpots because there's no home for them.

Basically, if you can't quickly rehabilitate your rooster... Would you rather have save the rooster you have and have a stressed, painful, less cared for flock... Or save a nice rooster and have a fun, peaceful flock? That's really up to you but for both my sake and my hens I choose a peaceful flock every time.

Back
Top Bottom