Cockerel Limping

CapricornFarm

Pottery producing maniac
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
Feb 1, 2010
Southern Virginia
20170909_160304.jpg I got a trio of young Easter Eggers about a month ago. About two days ago he started limping on his left leg. None of the other birds seem affected. They are in a new run and coop so maybe he hurt himself getting off a high perch? Now he is curling up his foot and hobbling along like that. Never had this issue before. Will try to get pictures. He is eating game bird starter since he is in with my guineas. The foot appears the same as the other foot, no visible lesion or sore.

Last edited:
How much protein is in the gamebird starter? Do you have any vitamins, baby vitamins, or some vitamin B Complex? Riboflavin deficiency can cause curled under toes and walking on the hock. Chopped beef liver, hamburger,and many other foods contain riboflavin (vitamin B2.) Do you know if he was vaccinated for Mareks? Does he put weight on the bad leg, hold it up, or drag it? Hopefully, it is not Mareks, a virus that can cause paralysis, tumors, and death. Injury could be a possibility, so I would place him close to food and water in a pen or large dog crate, to force him to rest it and to keep an eye on him.

He is on 20% protein feed. I do not know if he was vaccinated. I have a tractor i can put him in. I will pick up vitamins asap. He is putting weight on the leg just not using the foot. If it is Mereks, i will scream. I have a bunch of young birds and i only got these EE to teach the guineas to return to the coop. Thanks .

Beside the guineas, do you have other older chickens? If you have never had a problem with Mareks before with unvaccinated chickens, then it probably is not that. But chickens are the primary fowl that gets Mareks. Are his toes curling under? I would not worry just yet, just wanted to mention the possibility, but hopefully it is just an injury or a deficiency.

No, these are the oldest chickens here. There are wild turkeys on the property though, i read they can carry it.
Yes, the toes are curled under.

Back
Top Bottom