Cockrell behaviors

Mamagirl3

Songster
May 1, 2022
Southern Missouri
Sudden change in behavior for 15 week old light brahma cockrell. Was sweet boy, could pick him up to pet him. Suddenly he changed? Runs from being picked up.. seems to shy back, began flying to get away from us. Began pinching and pulling feathers on pullets until they squawk in pain.( has never broken the skin) Is this normal and he will change back? He also began trying to crow.. as pitiful as it sounds. Teehehe

Back to my boy... thought things settled down .. from week 15 concerns .. he is 20 weeks today... but his calm was just before the storm! The past week he has began getting on the girls.. but they don't want him yet... but he makes them! Now they don't want to be around him.. if he gets near.. they start shuffling out of reach!! Just seems 5 months is too young for a light brahma to be ready to fertilize eggs? The girls same age and only 2 have laid so far. 1 has laid 2 eggs and the other one only 1 egg so far. Have these 3 little eggs flipped his switch or does he ""think"" he knows what he is doing? Am wondering if he will hurt them? Same breed, same age ... but girls.are half his size ...he is sweet with me... would prefer hubby didn't pick him up... hahaha. But is totally fine when he does... does try to get down and doesn't fight. He is just a serial rapist to my girls that are screeching NO !!! Is he going to get normal at some age? All of this is so disappointing.. he was such a sweet fella until a month or so ago!! Then a sudden hormone gush made him a bad little boy! Hahaha. But I can't let the girls all be stressed out when he is around... it might effect their laying???

Back
Top Bottom