I’m actually digging now to lay 16 inch pavers around it.
Before you lay pavers...

An "apron" is hardware cloth or other stiff fence like material that is laid down on the ground around the perimeter of the run. (In case you didn't know that.) A predator that will dig its way in (like a raccoon) can't dig through the fencing, and gives up.

If you put the pavers there, a digging predator will just start digging at the edge of the pavers, or any other solid surface, and tunnel underneath.

Another way to do an apron is to dig way down, like 18-24" and put the hardware cloth vertically. That's way more work than laying it on the ground, obviously, so most people do it horizontally.

Before you lay pavers...

An "apron" is hardware cloth or other stiff fence like material that is laid down on the ground around the perimeter of the run. (In case you didn't know that.) A predator that will dig its way in (like a raccoon) can't dig through the fencing, and gives up.

If you put the pavers there, a digging predator will just start digging at the edge of the pavers, or any other solid surface, and tunnel underneath.

Another way to do an apron is to dig way down, like 18-24" and put the hardware cloth vertically. That's way more work than laying it on the ground, obviously, so most people do it horizontally.
Thanks for the tip. We don’t have anything in town.
Just my dogs. And the pavers are going to be imbedded.
I am going to dig down when I get outside of town.
All we have in town is squirrels and birds, and the occasional stray cat.

Cats can kill young peeps but a grown bird can run them off. My silkie have their own coop as cats here will go after the banty.
I acquired my tractor free.. The guy that made it was a electrician he bent conduit layed chicken wire.

Also added a roof panel 1 each side to allow them in it during rain.
013.jpg

We added hardware cloth over the chicken wire they are only it for a day at a time

Cats can kill young peeps but a grown bird can run them off. My silkie have their own coop as cats here will go after the banty.
I acquired my tractor free.. The guy that made it was a electrician he bent conduit layed chicken wire.

Also added a roof panel 1 each side to allow them in it during rain.View attachment 2796627
We added hardware cloth over the chicken wire they are only it for a day at a time
heyyyyy no sleeping on the job :gig

Back
Top Bottom