Coffee's ready...

sitting here drinking my coffee :)

Evening People,
Finally warming up here, woke up to a balmy 4f deg. Can't complain, it is winter. We have a drizzle going on now, black ice ( everything has a coat of ice on it now). The night-n-gale(?) light is on.
Enjoy the evening
Kaj

It's supposed to hit 19 or 20 below zero tomorrow. (29 below Celsius). My Coumbian Wyandottes are very cold hardy, and they play outside when it is 5 below, but this is getting downright severe. It hasn't been that cold here for 40 years, so I figure the past 30 or so generations of their evolution has not been exposed to such cold weather. Also, my flock is small, just 5 of them, so they don't generate the shared body heat of a larger flock.

In additon, I can't keep their water from freezing when it gets below about 10 degrees below.

Others on BYC would advise I ignore it and let them deal with the cold, but I spent a few hours today building a contained run with perches, food and water down in the basement. Moved them down there this afternoon. They were pretty agitated at first (strange new environment is never easy for chooks), but eventually they settled in on the perch and went to sleep.

Last edited:
Feel for you all suffering that cold. I guess we will get the tail end of it in a few weeks time.
We are having really high winds here and the waves are washing the beach onto the roads. The coast road is closed again today. It is very bad what with big bolders comming up onto the road. If we got accross country there are trees down due to the winds or the back roads are flooded out. So we have had a rough few days but things are settliong down now. Today the Laugh side road was clear again but the coast road still closed. Winds blowing off shore today which is good. It means the tide wont be as high.

Oes - need waders for the hens! lol

We have NHR at this time of year which to seem to be pretty cold hardy. The only problem is that they are getting old. They still seem to be able to tolerate the cold. With the cold snap we had in the past, I keep the coop door closed and seems to keep them warm. The coop itself isn't large but well insulated. I am working on something that might produce some warmth during the day time for them. I should have it done in the next couple of days.

In the 50's yesterday, dropping down to 2 this morning. Back up to the upper 40's by the weekend.

Enjoy the day

Good morning chicken wranglers,
Every thing is frozen.Even the tank heaters could not keep up . I carried 50 gallons of water out to my cows by hand. What a mess! Stuck in the drive stuck in the lane tractor will not start.
It did climb to 4 degrees F. so far today.
Welcome to the Midwest!
God Bless!

Hey I was just looking at my water feature pond.in my back yard. it has a pump in it. keeping it running. There is an ice dome. would a small fountain pump found in any arts and crafts store keep your water running and un frozen?

Just a thought. I'm thinking of setting up a fountain thingy in my new coop/run when I get it built.

Back
Top Bottom