Cold temps...is this a drafty coop?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Carli, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Carli

Carli Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2010
    Temps are dropping into the low 20's, possibly teens, tonight. Our coop has two screened windows, about 1ftx1ft. It is also ventilated at the top as the roof is not directly sitting on the support walls...raised slightly. Does this sound drafty? Should I plastic the windows? We only have ten chickens (10 months) and they all huddle together on the top roost as opposed to spreading out to the other roost, and one is setting in the nesting boxes; point being that there's plenty of airflow since they're not stuffed in tightly. Should I be worried about them?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Low 20's are probably not a problem. Mine was 23*F this morning, but if you think there might be a draft problem there is a good likelyhood there is.
    I would cover the 2 windows, but I don't think you need to panic about it.

Imp

3. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    My coop has 1 open'ish window and it got 20 Below and they were fine, but I had a heating lamp going.

4. Carli

Carli Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2010
    Quote:The only 'heat' I have in there is for their water and then a timed light that comes on in the morning and early evening...still think we're okay for the night? Hmm...As I typed another question, I realized my main worry was banging on the coop this late to "tack" up the plastic. TACK being the operative word. I think I'll go tack up some plastic...no need to BANG on the coop with tacks!

Thanks!

5. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

6. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    I think you will be ok, But I would tack some plastic.

7. Carli

Carli Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2010
    Quote:I went ahead and tacked up some plastic. They're all huddled together on that top roost. I feel better now.

Thanks for the advice!

8. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    keep me updated on if they did good [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by