Cold temps...is this a drafty coop?

Carli

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 4, 2010
Temps are dropping into the low 20's, possibly teens, tonight. Our coop has two screened windows, about 1ftx1ft. It is also ventilated at the top as the roof is not directly sitting on the support walls...raised slightly. Does this sound drafty? Should I plastic the windows? We only have ten chickens (10 months) and they all huddle together on the top roost as opposed to spreading out to the other roost, and one is setting in the nesting boxes; point being that there's plenty of airflow since they're not stuffed in tightly. Should I be worried about them?

Low 20's are probably not a problem. Mine was 23*F this morning, but if you think there might be a draft problem there is a good likelyhood there is.
I would cover the 2 windows, but I don't think you need to panic about it.

Imp

Quote:
The only 'heat' I have in there is for their water and then a timed light that comes on in the morning and early evening...still think we're okay for the night? Hmm...As I typed another question, I realized my main worry was banging on the coop this late to "tack" up the plastic. TACK being the operative word. I think I'll go tack up some plastic...no need to BANG on the coop with tacks!

Thanks!

Quote:
I went ahead and tacked up some plastic. They're all huddled together on that top roost. I feel better now.

Thanks for the advice!

keep me updated on if they did good
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom