Cold Weather

City Farmer Jim

Songster
Mar 18, 2020
South Texas close to Corpus Christi
Im not sure if this is the place for this but I will start here. This is for ALL NEWBIE CHICKEN KEEPERS. I write this a heavy heart ❤ we at Snowflake Farm lost one of our girls today..due to no fault of her own she froze to death. How this came about was totally my fault. It was a series of things that added up to her untimely death. The weather turned cold 35 and before Monday night lows in the teens (for south Texas) and very windy with at times heavy rain. As nightfall came the girls all go in the coop accept for 2..the 2 blue Wyandottes. One of them went to the back of the coop and the other stayed in front as she often did and not roost : this is our first mistake as our coop is cute and worked well for pullets but not for hens, she being a Blue Wyandotte was soaked pretty much to the bone: second mistake is not enough ventilation in the proper position, then she slept on the floor nest to and touching the metal pop door which is the third mistake: we use the deep litter method and there was not enough deep bedding to dry her off and keep warm. So when you are building/buying a coop use due diligence and consideration every thing that makes a good coop for your flock...I can't stress enough on reading ALL THE ADVICE the great minds here have to offer and heed it as best you can.
We have been in the planning stages of building a new coop and are scheduled to start in early March...I only wish it was a week ago so we would not have lost one of our girls..

They have plenty of dry places to be...they just choose to be outside foraging. This was completely our fault for not providing a better coop. It WILL be remedied in the very near future. All the things I have learned from the wonderful people here will be put to good use. It is sad that we let it happen but it won't happen again. We have a great flock of girls and deserve better.

Its the old story. The cold doesn't get them the moisture does. My hens run free all winter and we regularly get down to the mid-20c. It was -31c the other morning. (-13f and -24f.) Girls are happy to run around outside. It is normally sunny when its cold so they find a nice spot out of the wind and in the sun. Hardest part is keeping fresh water. One thing I've learned is to have more covered space than you think you need and I have a wind block to cut down on windchill. They love cold wood ashes mixed with sand for the winter bath. When it gets really cold I make them hot food with either rice or whole oats cooked with some bumper burger. My neighbours hit deer on a regular basis and all the bruised and broken bits get tossed in the grinder. I save it for the birds in the winter. They love it and need the protein and fat content to boost the metabolism when its really cold.
Sorry for your loss.

This is my coop right now. Just stepped out the door to snap a pic. Snow is a good 3 ft deep. Carolina coop style. 8x20 covered with a raised 4x8 insulated nesting box. There is a path plowed to the right where I access the coop. They love to sit under the big pine tree.

Attachments

• CfJ1%ZqBR9eE8WyPfV4WKw.jpg
    CfJ1%ZqBR9eE8WyPfV4WKw.jpg
    676.1 KB · Views: 9
I think you were correct 21 hens-incharge. The 8 hen flock is doing very well we have been without power since Monday at 1 AM so the hen that passed may well have had health issues we were not yet aware of. We may have power restored some time Wednesday if we are lucky...mind you we are in deep south Texas near the ocean. Its 40 in our house 🏠 close to the fridge temperature AAAAHHHH

I think you were correct 21 hens-incharge. The 8 hen flock is doing very well we have been without power since Monday at 1 AM so the hen that passed may well have had health issues we were not yet aware of. We may have power restored some time Wednesday if we are lucky...mind you we are in deep south Texas near the ocean. Its 40 in our house 🏠 close to the fridge temperature AAAAHHHH

If you have any sunshine open the drapes on that side of the house.
Kitties know sunshine helps. ;)

Good to hear your others are doing well.

Back
Top Bottom