Cold weather

Penelope59

Chirping
Jun 29, 2022
Merry Christmas!! I live in Ga and this will be the first winter with my flock of 9 thriving and sweetest hens. Typically, in the area of Ga in which I live, the winters are pretty mild. However, the temps are going to take a nose dive for a few nights. Lows around 10 degrees. I’m so worried about my girls being cold. I’ve done my research and providing a heat source is definitely a “NO” for me. The potential of a fire is frightening. However, there’s got to be some tips that I could do to help them stay warmer. Tips will greatly be appreciated!! Thank you!!

Ths
As long as they can get out of the wind, they'll be fine. You can make a huddle box but they'll likely not use it.
As long as they can get out of the wind, they'll be fine. You can make a huddle box but they'll likely not use it.
Thank you for your reply. Yes, they will be enclosed from the wind. I worry about their combs and wattles with frost bite.

I find myself in the same position. I am in the NW Florida Panhandle and we're expecting a hard freeze for about 3 nights over Christmas. All my girls are cold and hot weather harty breeds (Golden Comets, Black Sex Linked and Black Australorp) but I have no idea what is extreme cold for them and should I bring them in my garage during those nights....oh my the mess of poop cleaning if I do! But anything to keep them from being too cold. Temps are expected to get into teens and possibly wind chills of single digits. They have a small wooden coop that sets off the ground with vents in the front and sides next to the roof. Will they be ok to stay in the coop or is there something else I should do for the short period of freezing weather? Any suggestions are welcome!!

Attachments

• IMG_20221221_095704650.jpg
    IMG_20221221_095704650.jpg
    633.6 KB · Views: 4
I had always wondered why the company that built our coop left gaps around both doors on ether side of the coop. Now I know it’s for ventilation. They have plenty.

What's "plenty" in square feet?

The usual guideline is to have at least 1 square foot of ventilation per adult, standard-sized hen but here in the Steamy Southeast I find that I need at least double or triple that to keep the temperatures under 100F on a 90F day.

Back
Top Bottom